Never too cold...

GoldenMotor.com

foolsbike

Jan 11, 2014
Missouri
Normally, I walk or pay for a ride when I need to get somewhere. I am fortunate enough to live with in walking distance of everything I need except the pharmacy. I needed to get my son's meds for today so instead of walking the 2 miles I decided to brave the 16 degree weather. Yeah, not that cold to some but, being a transplant from Texas...Burr! Anyway, I learned today why they made gloves. I will say that motor doesn't put off much heat in that type of cold, especially when using it to warm your hands at stop signs. Good news is my throttle sticks a bit so I was able to alternate hands in the pocket. Not another two wheeler in sight. I guess those folks were too smart. Me? I am just a dumb Texas redneck living in the Midwest. I still enjoyed every minute of it!

.shft.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
...today so instead of walking the 2 miles I decided to brave the 16 degree weather. Yeah, not that cold to some but, being a transplant from Texas...Burr! Anyway, I learned today why they made gloves.
I can relate, I am a puss for the cold which is why I have spend the last 40 some years in the desert southwest (Phoenix) where we seldom see low temps under 32F (freezing) but I wear riding gloves even when we top 100+F not to keep my hands warm as much as protect them at least a little if I take a spill and I have take a couple bad ones.

Good news is my throttle sticks a bit so I was able to alternate hands in the pocket.
'Danger Will Robinson, Danger!' the robot from 'Lost in Space' hehehe ;-}

Really though you should fix your throttle so it snaps back to idle when you let go and just get bigger gloves as you should always consider your motorized bicycle to be a giant chain saw just waiting for you to loose control of it and coming after you.

foolsbike

Jan 11, 2014
Missouri
Yeah, I need to get a new grip for the throttle. It was a factory reject all bent up and the other side is useless. Yet it still works.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Every gas bike I have built the last 3 years gets BMX style foam grips on both sides and after collecting like a dozen left side grips they go right in the trash.
With a little soapy water they will fit over a throttle barrel and feel great on the hands ;-}

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While fixing the throttle is important, when riding in such temperatures the cables can't be trusted to return fully in any case as even the slightest bit of moisture in the housing can cause it to bind, lubricants thickening to goo... this can actually be more of a safety issue then just a binding twist grip as there's nothing quite like hitting a patch of ice with a front brake dragging. I'd suggest any of the graphite/teflon based cable lubes for cold weather riding as all the oil/wax types tend to gum up.

So, remember the kill switch - be it the button, choke, rear brake or any/all the above lol ;)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Barely, you are clearly demented.

Riding in snow up to the axles.

Geeze. Well at least you have an icy cushion between you and the pavement.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It snowed here again today. I opened the garage door to snow blow the walks and when I came back in I saw all of my bikes huddled into a corner, shivering.
I didn't go for a ride.

Tom

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I'm jealous, I want snow to plow through snow on my motor bike. Riding Northern California I am only legal off road where ATV an Motor Cycle Parks. This picture paved road to get there is not one of them, but had snow on the shoulders at the lower elevation 1500ft. I rode up at 3000ft area where some mud and puddles were, but too late to see snow there. I stopped in transport of my motor bike to take some pictures when I saw this. I could have filled my cooler with snow rather than buy ice, dang!

MT

Attachments