china girl motorized bicycle vs the world

GoldenMotor.com

boocher13

Aug 13, 2013
manchester,ct
Just out of curiosity how does the china girl compare to other 2 strokes of similar displacement in the HP department? The reason I ask is I have a couple really strong Tecumseh snowthrower engines rated at 3 1/2 hp I could use on future builds. Before I go welding and fabbing motor mounts I figure I would ask. Makes no sense aside from the added reliability factor of the american made engine to do the work for little to no performance gain.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Re: china girl vs the world

Yes, it is a good design for a bike motor. Especially if you have the proper V frame so the engine mounts wedge in solid. The 4:1 internal gears mean no jackshaft is needed and bump starting with the manual clutch is easy.

It really is a perfect design for a bike motor.

It's the execution that's lacking.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

I agree completely, if you can make sure everything is working as it should they are great little motors. I want to put one in a fixie frame because of the fact it fits so well and doesn't interfere with normal pedaling operation. I've been using the high revving centrifugal clutch two stroke motors, and sometimes you just want to blop along with pedal power instead of full crouch full tilt boogie in the powerband, lol.

boocher13

Aug 13, 2013
manchester,ct

Mike b, 16v. Are you referring to the Tecumseh engine? If so that's gonna be the deciding factor in using a Tecumseh over a China girl. The mounting fabrication should be fun. I just got my eBay morini s5 and that looks easy to mount as well.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Without exception any engine you choose over the Chinese 2 stroke will require some fabrication to mount it properly. "properly" being the keyword here. Custom made engine mounts can be simple or complex depending on the engine. Welding will almost certainly be a requirement, if you want the engine to stay put.

As for your question regarding horsepower; engine design will dictate that. There are small 50cc engines designed for model airplanes that come nowhere near providing the power and torque required to power a bike and there are 48cc bike engine that easily produce 2 to 3 hp and can carry a 250 pound rider to 30 mph. Gearing, sprocket size, is also an important factor to consider.

Check the 'DYI' section for ideas on mounting non-kit engines. There are some very innovative people here who have used a variety of engines successfully, both 2 and 4 stroke.

Tom

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.

I live in snow country, so I've thought about this quite a bit, and boy, I'm itching to give my opinion, but MikeB and Tom really got it covered. I hope you have the skills/ tools to do it, it sounds great. As long as it's safe, it's cool.

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.

They could use some porting enhancements! Seriously if the port timing was just a little different (but still pretty mild) these things would be so much faster. Sure you can do it yourself with a dremel but a factory job would be nice. I do the most mild porting from the two stroke tuning handbook on every personal bike I build and its a day and night change. -Ethan

mkatt4x4

Aug 30, 2013
Canada

..... and torque required to power a bike and there are 48cc bike engine that easily produce 2 to 3 hp and can carry a 250 pound rider to 30 mph. Gearing, sprocket size, is also an important factor to consider.
Tom

Which engines are these? I am just itching to buy an engine. I like the Grubee Skyhawk 66cc, but I keep thinking its not enough power for me being 6'6" and 300 lbs. Then I get bummed out because I think I have to go with a custom job ~100cc+

I got the cash to buy a kit now, want to order it and pay for it before I blow the wad of cash.