pull start help

GoldenMotor.com

rich4240

Jun 6, 2012
lefroy
hi i have a pull sart for my 66cc motor i keep brakeing th e rope on i have 175 180 psi in it i was wounding if i coule use the steel cable that is used on grage doors to poen them any thoughts

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
well I don't no how to replace the rope on them, every time I take them apart the silly spring in them comes out and then it's spirals every where force, so be careful when taking a part. It hurts when it comes out at your head or face. I bought the heavy duty one from bgf it's just the same price as the regular one, if you search his stuff. I don't know if this helps, but I can pull start it now and couldn't before with the regular one.

Last edited:

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
I've had this problem in the past go to the hardware store and buy three feet of 3/16" nylon braided rope . there's no way in He!! you're going to break this . Spend $3.00 and make yourself happy .laff

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Marine Supply stores have Kevlar cord, I think it could hold up better. I'm only familiar with the Briggs & Stratton Recoils and rope breaking has never happened. True you should have eye protection doing work on recoils. If you find something that is out of place abrading the cord, you could try to fix it at the same time you change the cord.

One thing I should mention though instructions probably say anyway, is that if you coil the spring too tight the cord cannot pull all the way out.

MT

Mar 31, 2013
RI
...Lynn over at Custom Motored Bicycles has a pull start that comes with a steel cable rather than a rope.

...here's a link to the relevant page, just scroll down about half way.

Custom Motored Bicycles

... i've never used this myself being the noob that i am but i have traded with Lynn a few times and i have always gotten quality products delivered very quickly, ...i am certain i will trade with her with confidence again in the future.

peace, bozo

btw, i posted this because it seems to suggest that your idea about using a steel garage door cable isn't far off the mark and should be doable although $32.00 to avoid the hassle doesn't seem like too much to me.

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
That dealer website has pictures and measurements for looks like all the stuff they sell. Although I have nothing I will be needing right now, it is the kind of thing I like to see that makes a wrong selection less likely.

MT

Mar 31, 2013
RI
That dealer website has pictures and measurements for looks like all the stuff they sell. Although I have nothing I will be needing right now, it is the kind of thing I like to see that makes a wrong selection less likely.

MT
yeah man, the site is a little clumsily put together but they are reliable based on my own limited personal experience and by what i've been reading these last few months, ...i've only dealt with them a few times and for small purchases but each time i was very satisfied, so much so that i'm considering a wheelset, i figure if they handle $20.00 - $30.00 sales so well then they respect their customers and want their business and so can be trusted with a more substantial outlay.

...oh, and there is a LOT there so be sure you explore thoroughly or you might miss something.

peace, bozo

rich4240

Jun 6, 2012
lefroy
i will try the 3/16 rope or the kelvar or my frend has lots of 3/16 steel cable i could try im good with puting it back together when i first got mine it had came a part in shiping and oi had to put it back together as for ordding one im in tronto ontaro so its to costy for me to has stuff shiped acrost the border so i try to buy eveything here
brnot