whats the most painless way to deal with this?

GoldenMotor.com

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
There is more than a couple ways.
1) you can cut a slot in it with a deramel, and try screwing it out with a flat head screwdriver.
2) or you can also spend some mony and by a bolt extractor kit from a local auto shop

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Place a small nut over the stud and tack it together. The heat will help you unscrew it right out with ease.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
also is this a common thing? would i be better off drilling and tapping a 8mm hole? i already got the 6mm allthread from fastenall at lunch time and new lock nuts. and am off to harbour freight to buy this :http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-screw-extractor-set-40349.html
If you don't have welder......

Buying and using a Chinese grade screw extractor is begging for disaster as in it breaking off in the hole. The twisted version suck too as they don't grab very well in the small sizes.

Get one of the square extractors, this is for a 3/16" drilled hole but you may need the 1/8" hole model seeing the stud is only about 1/4" diameter, http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...rew+extractors_-1_-1&keyword=screw+extractors

Worth every penny of $3.49

also is that 6mm allthread from fastenall a decent grade? because standard all thread is very soft.

CENTER PUNCH the center of the broken off stud before you carefully drill an 1/8" aligned hole through it.
Try reversing the drill, sometimes the stud will back right out.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
You can drill them with a left handed bit. Drilling them will probably back them o,ut enough so you can get them vice grips. If it don't a small ease out will do the trick. Just go easy....

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i use left hand drill bits. they drill in with the drill in reverse. you drill in one size, the go up one size, it grabs and screws it right out.

the harbor freight one's work ok as long as you drill straight and carefully.

it's only a common problem if your motor's not mounted properly. happens to people who think rubber mounts work.

overtightening, crooked mounts, and cheap hardware will break sooner or later.

i use grade 5.8 metric allen head cap bolts in all my bikes, and never broke one. only time i've snapped a stud was from stock hardware, or when my chain snapped and broke the case.