CDI Warning: I guess I'm still a n00b

GoldenMotor.com

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Just wanted to clarify and reiterate an oft mentioned though rarely spotlit issue vis a vis CDI destruction. I have had no problems with my CDI for nearly a year, although I have gone through about 5 magneto-coils. This passed Wednesday, I met a friend at a local gin-mill whom I just assisted in completing his very own FIRST motorized bicycle kit. His spark-plug cap of his brand-new CDI had disintegrated. I carry replacement parts in my trusty backpack, and had a spare CDI kicking around in there for ages. He already had a new CDI on order (he wasn't aware you could just swap the cable). Anyway, I didn't hesitate to give him mine in the meantime. So...my own spark-plug cap was starting to show its age, and started to pop off once in a while. It, with age and use, lost much of its snugness and "holding-power"...much like my ex's snatch. Wouldn't you know it, the VERY NEXT MORNING, whilst boogieing along and RPMing at cruising speed, the cap popped off...engine died...and we rolled to a stop. I immediately recognized and mitigated the issue...or so I thought. The engine would simply not fire. Thinking the mag-coil fried (I carry a spare of those too), I checked the resistance (I also carry a digital multimeter). It was good. Then I tried the ol' removed-plug-laying-on-head trick, rolled tire...no spark. The VERY FIRST DAY I don't have a spare CDI handy, mine finally blows (which is one more that I can say about my ex). Word to the wise...and ESPECIALLY the unwise: if your spark-plug cap is faulty, FIX IT NOW lest you kill your CDI at an inopportune time.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have said it for years.
"The second you get rid of any part, no matter how obscure or weird, you will instantly need that part."
Murphy's fifteenth law of misc parts.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
I don't know what I laughed at more the info on your ex, or that you carry a multimeter on your motorized bicycle excursions!

Cripes man, what's the deal with your magnetos?
My brother bought us a couple chainsaw spark plug plugs, seems quite alright.