clutch problem

GoldenMotor.com

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I recently replaced a clutch complete pads and gear I put it on,and it rubs gear cover so I double gasket it and it seems to be working.I just wonder why it's rubbing with one gasket?Any advice would be good!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It's hard to say...different sized parts? Did you re-install everything exactly as you removed it?
Does the clutch work normally otherwise?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
sounds like it may not be fully seated onto the tapered shaft (or the woodruff key is in the slot crooked) - try putting a piece of 2x4 on it and smacking it with a hammer to see if you can then tighten the center nut down a bit more, otherwise you'll need to take it off and check the key (note: there are now two different widths of keys & slots which will not work together without a bit of filing)

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I second the idea that the clutch shaft may not be seated all the way toward the drive sprocket. I had some rubbing, I used a real socket to tighten the nut on the sprocket and that pulled the clutch shaft into place for me and stopped the rubbing..

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Did you replace the clutch pads? Maybe a bit thicker? Otherwise the other guys got it covered on the shaft...

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I did change clutch pads that was the problem they were thicker and went back with the thinner one's,dam you nailed that right on.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I did change clutch pads that was the problem they were thicker and went back with the thinner one's,dam you nailed that right on.
You can still use the new ones, just carefully sand them thin enough to fit.
Just keep them flat and square and they will grind right down on some medium sandpaper.