Need help with repair

GoldenMotor.com

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
can anyone provide me with the name parts of the lower end of the crankcase for me? Also, where can I get these parts for a 60 cc?
To start out, there are a couple different manufactures of these motors, there are some differences in the parts, so you need to determine what type of motor you have. Do you have any idea?

The cylinder/head/piston is commonly referred to as the "top end" everything below it is the "bottom end". You can buy a complete bottom end or individual parts, depending on how much work you want to do. The biggest problem here would be determining if your top end will work with the new bottom end you buy? (what brand motor do you have?)

So, pending your identification of your motor, it may or may not be easy to get replacement parts and have everything fit together properly. If, for instance, you have a Grubee motor, GasBike has 66cc bottom ends for $74, 48cc for $64. Bikeberry seems to have parts for at least two different brands of motor, there are all the sponsors linked on the sides of this forum that sell the parts for various motors, and then there are the sellers on ebay. (If you look at the PARTS section at BikeBerry.com they show an exploded parts view for all the various sections of the motor which is very helpful in understanding what your dealing with)

So far I'm not exactly sure what "parts" you need if you go the repair route, if your willing to do the work to crack the bottom end and just need bearings someone will help you find replacements and that would be pretty cheap. Pictures are always helpfull....

Sorry I don't have a simple answer for you. Pass on any more info about exactly what motor you have and someone will help you find the right parts and give you the best advice, which may depend upon your skill level and/or desire to dig into some mechanical work.

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
no, unfortunately no sticker of any kind
OK, if it has no Skyhawk sticker then its most likely not a Grubee motor like the one you linked to. Again, there are a handful of different sources of motors that look essentially the same but have slight differences.
The best thing you could do is get some pictures posted of your actual motor, or somehow find out where it was purchased.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
You can just get a replacement motor and use your current motor to learn about these motors. boygofast on eBay and many others sell just the motor usually for less than a hundred and I have found that the aftermarket parts for these motors are of a better quality than stock.

The clutches on these things can be real tricky to set up and can cause the problems your having. The clutch release needs like a preload that's difficult to set and under the cover there's a "star" nut is a cause for problems, too.

There are good tutorials here, learn and enjoy the hobby. :)

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
The clutches on these things can be real tricky to set up and can cause the problems your having. The clutch release needs like a preload that's difficult to set and under the cover there's a "star" nut is a cause for problems, too.
If you remove the small bevel gear the clutch is decoupled from the crankshaft, so you can tell for sure at that point if its the clutch or something in the motor that is locking things up....

jtennant

Oct 18, 2012
Arizona
I'll buy the dead motor.
To start out, there are a couple different manufactures of these motors, there are some differences in the parts, so you need to determine what type of motor you have. Do you have any idea?

The cylinder/head/piston is commonly referred to as the "top end" everything below it is the "bottom end". You can buy a complete bottom end or individual parts, depending on how much work you want to do. The biggest problem here would be determining if your top end will work with the new bottom end you buy? (what brand motor do you have?)

So, pending your identification of your motor, it may or may not be easy to get replacement parts and have everything fit together properly. If, for instance, you have a Grubee motor, GasBike has 66cc bottom ends for $74, 48cc for $64. Bikeberry seems to have parts for at least two different brands of motor, there are all the sponsors linked on the sides of this forum that sell the parts for various motors, and then there are the sellers on ebay. (If you look at the PARTS section at BikeBerry.com they show an exploded parts view for all the various sections of the motor which is very helpful in understanding what your dealing with)

So far I'm not exactly sure what "parts" you need if you go the repair route, if your willing to do the work to crack the bottom end and just need bearings someone will help you find replacements and that would be pretty cheap. Pictures are always helpfull....

Sorry I don't have a simple answer for you. Pass on any more info about exactly what motor you have and someone will help you find the right parts and give you the best advice, which may depend upon your skill level and/or desire to dig into some mechanical work.

Hi,
I guess we have to buy a new engine. It is hard to get all the parts off to see what is wrong, AND there is not anyone I can find in the US that sells 60cc parts. Only 66cc 80cc and 48cc. What do you recommend to go through to buy an engine?
Thanks

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Looks like Gasbike.net has the 48cc Grubee motor only on sale right now for $109 with free shipping, unfortunately the 66cc is not on sale, they still want $149 for that model (with no mention of free shipping).
As for the best motor, IMHO it's a crapshoot no matter what you buy. There are people who will bad mouth Grubee motors, but I have read many posts in the forum from people that have the same problems with all the other motors that are selling just the same as Grubee. One good thing about the Grubee, when you need a part you know what motor you have and what part will fit...

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
jtennant,

Always willing to help out another Tucsonan and a fellow Motorbicycling.com member. PM me if you would like for me to look at your motor when time is available.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
If Liquid Wrench loosened the piston, then it was stuck to the cylinder. Spraying liquid wrench around the piston would not loosen anything in the crankcase (bottom end). Sometimes pistons become stuck and they are not completely seized. If you added oil and gas to the tank separately without mixing it first, that could cause the piston to become lightly seized.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
If Liquid Wrench loosened the piston, then it was stuck to the cylinder. Spraying liquid wrench around the piston would not loosen anything in the crankcase (bottom end).
I believe somewhere in this thread he said that he got the jug removed and there was still something in the bottom end that was preventing the piston from moving. So it seems he has a problem in the bottom end if that is accurate info....

Hopefully the other local rider will be able to help him out, cause it seems someone with more experience with motors should be able to fix this one up pretty easily. The problem is, the OP can't identify the motor or the actual problem in the motor. If someone with more experience could look at it (or he could post a picture perhaps) I think the motor type and actual problem could be identified and possibly repaired.

jtennant

Oct 18, 2012
Arizona
jtennant,

Always willing to help out another Tucsonan and a fellow Motorbicycling.com member. PM me if you would like for me to look at your motor when time is available.
Thanks, that sounds great! I will figure out how to PM hopefully soon, thanks. Oh, also I am trying to find out what tools we will need to take it apart? There is some special tool to take the bottom end apart and I cannot find the name of it or where to find it.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Thanks, that sounds great! I will figure out how to PM hopefully soon, thanks. Oh, also I am trying to find out what tools we will need to take it apart? There is some special tool to take the bottom end apart and I cannot find the name of it or where to find it.
The gear puller tool that comes with the kit is the only specialty tool, it is configured so you can use this tool to pull the various gears, sprockets etc from the motor. If you don't have one of these tools you can buy one, or remind the other builder to bring his when he comes to help you.
To private message (PM) someone just click their name and then select "send a private message"...