Old man from France

GoldenMotor.com

pbaudet94

Aug 13, 2008
France, Burguny
Hello everybody,

I'm Patrick 45 years old, "Galet" Addict from years.

I own several "front wheel friction moped" from 1922 to end of 70's. I'm interest in finding new engines.

You can find pictures on my blog at route-sixty.over-blog.com

I have a project to adapt a 80cc flat twin (3W model plane engine) on a bike, do you already did this ? and if yes I'm interrest in the transmission system.

Regards

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I haven't seen a model plane engine on a bike yet. That idea actually crossed my mind at one time, but I don't have the resources to make it work. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Welcome to the forum.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have some interesting toys and ideas. Be sure to post pics of both. Glad you joined us.......................

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Hello everybody,

I'm Patrick 45 years old, "Galet" Addict from years.

I own several "front wheel friction moped" from 1922 to end of 70's. I'm interest in finding new engines.

You can find pictures on my blog at route-sixty.over-blog.com

I have a project to adapt a 80cc flat twin (3W model plane engine) on a bike, do you already did this ? and if yes I'm interrest in the transmission system.

Regards
I have seen one cyclemotor machine with a twin engine - I dont know the displacement which had a friction wheel in between the cylinders (which pointed down along the line of the front forks). I understand it was a two stroke machine.

If you are talking about a boxer BMW style twin of that displacement - I wouldnt recommend fitting it over the front wheel like the 'solex nor would I suggest friction drive. My suggestion would be a frame mounting fore & aft with the crankshaft mated to a 90 degree angle jackshaft to either a belt drive or chain drive to the rear wheel. An 80cc engine for aero applications will have *alot* of power - maybe up to 8hp - which doesnt bode well for friction drive, neither does weight up high given the achievable speeds. The only issue with that setup is clearing the pedals.

The other option is mounting the engine with the cylinders along the frame driving through a friction clutch to a belt chain arrangement - it'd be best to see a picture of the engine before I can say much more..

Jemma xx

pbaudet94

Aug 13, 2008
France, Burguny
Thanks all for the anwsers,

Here are the info about the engine :

Hubvolumen / Cylinder capacity / Cylindrée 85 ccm / 5.09 cu.in
Leistung / Power / Puissance 9,2 PS / HP / CV; 6,76 kW
Bohrung Æ / Bore dia. / Alesage 44 mm / 1.73 in
Hub / Stroke / Course 28 mm / 1.10 in
Drehzahlbereich / Speed range / Vitesse de rotation 1200 - 8000 min-1 / rpm
Gewicht / Weight / Poids 2880g / 6.05 Ibs - incl. Zündung / ignition
Kurbelwelle / Crankshaft / 3 Kugellager / 3 Ball bearings / 3 Roulement à billes
Pleuel / Connection rod / Bielle Nadellager an beiden Enden / Needle bearings on both ends / Roulement à aiguille aux deux cotés
Benzin / Gasoline-Version 1 : 50 - 1 : 80 Mix
IIS - Zündung / IIS - Ignition / V.cc allumage 6,0 V
Propeller / Hélice 2-Blatt / 2-bladed / à 2 pales:
24x10; 26x8; 26x10; 26x12; 28x10
3-Blatt / 3-bladed / à 3 pales:
22x12; 24x10; 24x12; 25x12

[/url][/IMG]

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Thanks for the pics of the engine..

It looks like a lengthwise frame mount would be best, but you would have to fabricate mountings and such.

What you could do is get hold of a GEBE mount and rebuild it to take a manual clutch - that way you'd be able to start the engine by pedalling off and dropping the clutch.

The problem in this situation is always going to be what method you use to start the motor - because almost all the MA engines are started from the propellor boss.

You will need strong wheels and components on the bike to cope with the power - 9hp is more than even the racing mopeds such as the Fantics came close to.

welcome to the forum and we'd love to see pictures when you start building

Jemma xx