New to motorized bikes, not new to bikes

GoldenMotor.com

Sassifrasstea

Jul 19, 2008
Eastern Oklahoma
I am new to motorized bikes. I am 60 years young. Did a couple of triathlons 12 years ago. Had cancer and got off the bike for a while. Thought I would try the engine. Put the engine on my Giant Inova myself. Am very proud of myself. I guess I am still in the break-in period. Have used about 2 tanks of gas. Cycle computer doesn't work with the engine so don't know how far I have ridden. It makes me real nervous going up the hill I have to travel going home. I just pedal like crazy. Anyone have any thoughts on this. Bike seems to be fine. Just loses power toward the top. Is it normal for the chain to make a lot of noise? Engine sounds good. Wish there was someone else in this little town who rides (they don't even ride bikes, period).

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us :D

Yes the chain can make a lot of noise, is it adjusted correctly? Here is a link to help adjust the chain..http://motorbicycling.com/f3/replace-repair-adjust-chain-1139.html

Losses power at the top of a hill? How big is this hill? What size rear sprocket are you using?

As far as the computer the electrical system on these motor's can affect the computer. Twist the wires from the motor and keep the computer wire as far away as possible. Or you could use shielding for the wires, I use wire loom.

:ride2:

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
hi tea; welcome and keep a close eye on that chain. you might shorten it because they stretch at first. #41 chain is better but the tensioner is carp. you can drill a small hole through the tensioner into the frame, use a metal screw and save a bunch of spokes. good luck. mitch

Sassifrasstea

Jul 19, 2008
Eastern Oklahoma
Thank you so much for your response. I love this forum. My chain is still good and tight. The problem my be that it is too tight. It doesn't seem to have loosened any. The problem my be that it is too tight. Would that make it pull a little, like it was fighting the bike at times? Maybe this is normal, I just don't know. Any thoughts. I just discovered the idle adjustment and primer, thanks to one of your videos. I feel like an idiot; I changed the fuel line and shortened it. Seems to make a difference in power. Thanks again.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
Welcome aboard Sassifrass. Most of the issues above are pretty common. It sounds like your chain might be too tight, I ajust mine the way I was taught for motorcycles, two fingers lifts the chain about one chain width. These engines are rated at les than 2hp so they are not known for their hillclimbing abilities. You can change your gearing for more low end by changing your rear sprocket to a larger one, this will take away from your top speed though. Enjoy the ride...Kelly:ride2: