48cc Chinese engine actually works great!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Motorhedz

Hey everyone. I'm new here...this site is excellent. Great job, you guys. We need this to share ideas and experiences.
I have been using the 48cc Chinese Engine for 2 weeks now for my commute to work 30 miles exactly, round trip. The damn thing has performed flawlessly!!! Yeah...I'm stunned, too.
I was crappin' frogs thinking I blew $175 on a bum engine (we all know how these Chinese ones are hit or miss) but I must have snagged a gem because I bolted it on and aside from the usual irritations like the whining sound (kind of like the whining from all the talking heads in the media avoiding the peak oil issue like the plague), the clutch cable pull that requires you to have the Kungfu Grip (those of you in my age group will remember that one), various nuts and bolts that seem to do this funky random loosening thing (remedied that with Loctite and "real" nuts and bolts.
What is it with stuff from China??
It's like they try to fake us out with this cute little "Imitation" hardware stuff on ALL of their products. I also sell the little Kids 50cc, 70cc 90cc and 110cc ATV's at my shop. They all have the same type of cheapie hardware on them, too. I have to replace some of it after I uncrate them to feel comfortable selling them to the public for safety reasons.
Anyway....thanks for all of the tips everyone, you've been a tremedous help with my new project. Keep up the great work!!!!

benuntu

Jul 7, 2008
Chico, CA
I'm new, and still have yet to buy a bike/kit. I'm interested in what engine you bought and where you purchased it from. I've looked around on eBay...but I just hate buying stuff from there unless it's under 10 bucks. I don't mind shelling out a little extra cash for good customer service.

Motorhedz

I actually bought the engine off Ebay. Here is the item number so you can check it out: 260251034630. I'm not recommending that you buy from the same place or the same motor because these Chinese ones are notorious for having quirky issues. If you like to mess with mechanical things and fine tuning then you might want to try it as a prototype project like mine is, just to see if you like it or not. I think the whole bike-engine concept is awesome and I am already looking into building my next project. I have already bought the new bike: Scott Sportster Hybrid w/19" 700c rims for $400. Very light and fast on the road. Just need to find the right engine for it.
I was looking for my next engine as I got your reply to this thread and I seem to be leaning toward the Robin-Subaru 4-stroke at Statons website. From my experience at my shop with other engines on ATV's, Dirtbikes, etc. the 4-stroke engines have much better low end torque than 2-strokes. Top speed takes a little longer to reach but so what? I know for a fact that as far as longevity is concerned, a 4-stroke will last FAR longer than any 2-stroke provided proper maintenance is done.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Hey motorhedz- I have run two of the 70cc's well over 500 miles each, (one is sold, the other is going on another bike as I speak) with no problems whatsoever. These kits can be made to be reliable to a degree.

Welcome to the forum.