Anyone motorize a 3 wheel bike....

GoldenMotor.com

John-Forrest

Jul 18, 2008
I've been looking into a very similar thing. I also like that Schwinn bike and would like to use that big basket for my groceries or camping or whatever. It doesn't look like it has the right frame to put a gas motor onto, it seems like you need at least three points to tie it on. To put it on back, you'd have to remove that basket.

The pic of the green recumbent bike looks quite attractive. I would like to know who did that and what kind of engine that it. It appears to be a very tiny electric motor, probably not a range more than 10 miles. I like that bubble windshield which would make winter travel more feasible since it protects your upper body and hands from the wind chill. I'm waiting for someone to invent some kind of bubble you can be enclosed in and still manage to work the peddles. Email me if you find one.

That thing in Spooky Tooth is just a way to convert a bicyle into a tricycle, not a motor. That seems like a lot of work just to have the right frame to put a motor on.

I think it's better to have engine chained to a different wheel than the one you're biking on - I have a motorbike now and I notice the bike chain and motor chain tend to "fight" each other, a tug of war. You can assist the engine more readily by pedaling if they're separate systems.

That Revo Wheel that you put on front wheel seems like a possible solution. It doesn't look like it has a lot of power or range though. It's more expensive than other engines, about $600 - and it's still waiting to be released.

My dream would be a three wheel bike with a 80 cc motor, a big basket on back, and a winter superwindshield against the cold. (I live in Massachusetts.) I don't think I'd want to attempt to do it myself, I'd rather find something preassembled. If we keep bugging the engineers, maybe someone will start making something like that - and will make a LOT of money. Also, I'd like to see it for around $1,000; I'm low-income.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
We have another jewel in the crown that is Motorbicycling.com MrMike and his dad are ahead of me right now. I am doing something very similar. Pics of their bike rock. The DAX motor kit with a Sic Bike Parts jackshaft kit is what I am playing with right now. The bike with the motor on the frame sitting on rags is mine.

Attachments

John-Forrest

Jul 18, 2008
We have another jewel in the crown that is Motorbicycling.com MrMike and his dad are ahead of me right now. I am doing something very similar. Pics of their bike rock. The DAX motor kit with a Sic Bike Parts jackshaft kit is what I am playing with right now. The bike with the motor on the frame sitting on rags is mine.
I would be curious to know how well this works. It looks like you are trying to put it on now. Or how well does that other one work, the one with engine on back? Looks like he put it on a board. What kind of engine does it have?

Regarding yours, will you balance it on that frame? I kind of have the impression you'd need something to hold it from the top or it would be liable to fall off. (I speak from experience here, I had my engine fall off. It was expensive to take to shop and have it welded back on.

One question: Do you find yourself slowing down more to go around tight curves or making a turn? (That's why they have "tilting" 3 wheelers now. Or very good shocks on each of the rear wheels would help.)

I hope it works for you! Let me know how it goes.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Will most likely order the jack shaft it soon. When I mount it to the frame it won't fall off.
Custom mounts will see to that. I have something like a cradle in mind. Lots of thought, lots of planning. Mine may be the first, don't know. I'm in uncharted water with this. May take months to get it right. The motor on their trike is a Honda GXH-50 on plate steel. I am almost sure MrMikes bike will be running before mine. They don't handle well,
built for a work horse, not a speed bike. Slow WAY down for turns.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan

Seanik

Nov 10, 2008
Erie Pa
Hi Mich. Mike,
I ordered the Titan XC50 from DaX and thought about getting the Meridan trike from Wall Mart, 199.00 is a great price. After much soul searching I bought the Schwinn ladies point beach cruiser for 139.00 and thats where the Titan will go.. I wanted to put the engine at the rear of the trike and that presented some building problems that I didn't want to solve, also a front wheel mount didn't appeal to me. The reason for the Ladies bike is I got hip problems and it's tough to swing my legs over the crosbar. I just installed a springer fork on the cruiser and need one more washer to get the crown nut tight. One concern I had about a trike was taking a turn to fast and flipping, also I travel some and it would be difficult transporting the trike on my hitch mount carrier. That aside, Good luck on the build!

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Hi Mich. Mike,
I ordered the Titan XC50 from DaX and thought about getting the Meridan trike from Wall Mart, 199.00 is a great price. After much soul searching I bought the Schwinn ladies point beach cruiser for 139.00 and thats where the Titan will go.. I wanted to put the engine at the rear of the trike and that presented some building problems that I didn't want to solve, also a front wheel mount didn't appeal to me. The reason for the Ladies bike is I got hip problems and it's tough to swing my legs over the crosbar. I just installed a springer fork on the cruiser and need one more washer to get the crown nut tight. One concern I had about a trike was taking a turn to fast and flipping, also I travel some and it would be difficult transporting the trike on my hitch mount carrier. That aside, Good luck on the build!
Thanks Seanik. I'm getting several "thumbs up" on the Schwinn beach cruisers and am seriously looking at them if I don't go with the Meridian. Actually, the more I think about it the more I see two bikes in my future!

Nice hearing from you .......

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Michigan Mike all tho, I love your zest for the bikes I would stay away from the Meridian trike for now. Both MrMike & his dad, and I have bloody foreheads tryin' to figgure this out rotfl It's not a good first time build. Unless you have a one million dollar machine shop.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Michigan Mike all tho, I love your zest for the bikes I would stay away from the Meridian trike for now. Both MrMike & his dad, and I have bloody foreheads tryin' to figgure this out rotfl It's not a good first time build. Unless you have a one million dollar machine shop.
Hey Saddletramp,
Sounds like you and MrMike and his Dad are just the guys I'm looking for! Can't seem to shake this daydream I have of ridding around my little town on a Meridian. :ride: I was thinking of keeping it simple at first with a friction, front wheel drive system ... maybe later do a chain drive.?. Would love to hear of your "mechanical adventures" so far. Also what do you think of the quality of the trike, tires, seat, etc. ?

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
Motorizing trikes is great fun. However, they pull to the right when accelerating, and wear the tires funny. I built a 20" wheeled trike for a friend with a Mongoose bike, trike axle, and 6.5HP engine. It was insane. It could pick up the front if you didn't lean forward, and it only drove one wheel!

Also, a trick for turning corners, is to stand up on the pedals, and lean inward off the trike some to go around corners, and the wheels will stay on the ground.

creativelady

Jun 13, 2010
North Las Vegas, NV
where do I get a bike like this one, I am out of work and have $500. saved I was offered a job but the bus does not run by me. I am 58yrs old and tried to ride a bike and it took me 4 hrs to go 8 miles and never made it to my destination. I have seen a lot of different ones but I like this one. so where can I get one just like this one the seat looks comfortable. thanks for a response

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
ya i would love a motorized trike. someday i will get off my lazy buns and build one. I am to busy playing on the beach lol

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Motorizing trikes is great fun. However, they pull to the right when accelerating, and wear the tires funny. I built a 20" wheeled trike for a friend with a Mongoose bike, trike axle, and 6.5HP engine. It was insane. It could pick up the front if you didn't lean forward, and it only drove one wheel!

Also, a trick for turning corners, is to stand up on the pedals, and lean inward off the trike some to go around corners, and the wheels will stay on the ground.
One thing about the new Schwinn it has 24" rear wheel a little more stable. THEY ARE TOUGH. There is a kid that I know that has destoried 2or3 3wheelers but not the schwinn. He uses it as a truck burns brodys,unbeleviable what he has done.
I have a Columbia 3 wheeler I bought at the recycicle center the only one I have seen with a diferential.It would equlize the drive power to the rear. Its the same diferential used in Go karts and older lawn tractor with seperate transmissions. After reading this I will have to keep it and build one.