are they gone...?

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I notice Thatsdax is listing his engines as being 38mm stroke now so I'm wondering if the good well balanced 40mm stroke engines are gone.

Those were the best engines I've had and I'm wondering why Dax has got away from them in favor of the GT5 type engine.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I was wondering the same thing... I saw that last time I went to his site, I think he still has some 40mm bottom ends but the engines all look to be 38 mm now.
I might need to snatch up a few bottom ends if that's the case, if he has any left...

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I was wondering the same thing... I saw that last time I went to his site, I think he still has some 40mm bottom ends but the engines all look to be 38 mm now.
I might need to snatch up a few bottom ends if that's the case, if he has any left...
I sure hope they aren't gone, took a good while before we had a good balanced lower with good bearings.

May be some more of these engines es out there but who knows which ones they are.

I've never ran a GT5 engine yet, I do have one that I bought from YILDS, just the lower and I've got to work an upper over good for it, I'm curiou about the balance and power competed to my 40mm stroke Dax engines.

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
Ive ran both the 38 and 40 MM bottom ends from dax and to tell the truth I liked the 38 balanced bottom end. as far as smoothness there both about the same but for the type of riding I do the 38 mm has a better placed power ban my 2 40s that I build do have just a little more top end going by gps but the 38 mm have a lower power ban which when in stop and go traffic it makes the 38 the better choice. all that said both are solid bottom ends.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
The 2mm stroke difference shouldn't be too much of a power issue but they will have different port timings and the jug may need some shaving on the deck and/or base to put the timing where you want since it is enough of a difference to move where the powerband is at. Typically the 38mm bottom ends will have a touch more power in the low rpm range due to this slight timing change. This can be corrected for high rpm power or left alone for better low end power, or some more can be taken off the base for even more low end power.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
On my gt5 build I'm gonna use two base gaskets and then shave the jug deck to get more compression and better squish for better combustion.

If the 38mm stroke engine still have as good of balance as the 40mm stroke engines that's a good thing, the 38mm stroke engine will just need a tad more work to get the better top speed performance some like myself prefer.

Thanks for the info. Scott D.