FINALLY DONE! THANK YOU ALL! Check this out...

GoldenMotor.com

Tsbrunell

Apr 22, 2011
Harford County, MD
So after months of mods including a special air filter, the SBP expansion chamber, a much smaller sprocket, new jug and piston, and a bunch of other stuff....
...I clocked 47mph today! No lie! I have proof but am trying to figure out how to put it online...

On a straight road, my bike cruises at 44mph easy, I found this out from a few different ways.
-I reset the trip mode on my garmin nuvi gps so that way it'll tell you the max speed you had, and i stuck that in my pocket.
-I had a friend drive behind me and watch his speed.
-Lastly, I just got pulled over again and the officer told me I was going over 40mph!

I'll put some videos up soon of my friend driving behind me, you'll see him holding the camera in his car filming me and his speedometer. I can take pics of the gps display but some people probably wont believe that.

Anyway, i'm all excited because of the results I just got so I wanted to spread the word that you really can turn these little chinese engines into DIRT BIKES!

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE FORUM, I WOULDN'T HAVE MADE IT THIS FAR WITHOUT YOU!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just a warning. Fantastic speed claims will get you a lot of friction here. You'll need to show positive proof or you'll see lots of negative comments.
Speed claims are usually met with skepticism, especially in the 40+ range.
Just be prepared. That's all I'm saying.
Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Just a warning. Fantastic speed claims will get you a lot of friction here. You'll need to show positive proof or you'll see lots of negative comments.
Speed claims are usually met with skepticism, especially in the 40+ range.
Just be prepared. That's all I'm saying.
Tom
Ahhh yes... I think I remember a guy claiming 50+MPH with a 44T sprocket!?! Good times! ;)

Tsbrunell

Apr 22, 2011
Harford County, MD
I use a 24T sprocket, and a custom chain tensioner I made that uses springs to keep the tension the same at any speed. I'm in the bike somewhere over $600 so if it didnt go this fast i'd probly trash it lol

shawnusmaximus

Jun 24, 2011
South Carolina
I have the sprocket that came with kit. I don't know how fast I am going, but it would scare the crap out me to go any faster.

I could use some more climbing power though.

Congrats on your speed!

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I can hardly wait to see pics.....as for top speed- I hit 38 mph for about 3 seconds with my thatsdax GT50R motor on my friction drive with a 1 1/2 inch roller.

It has more left in it, but I won't be testing that for at least 3 or 4 hundred miles. I am pretty happy at 20mph.....you get a nice breeze and things don't come up on you too quickly.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I remember the old Tempus I built on a Micargi Huntington frame. Cruising at 20 mph wasn't so bad, so I tried 25 mph. I got used to that, so I went up to 30 mph. With a few new vibrations it was not real comfortable. I think I went as high as (what my speedometer thought was) 32 mph. At about that speed it felt like the bike was not game for this, and all sorts of bad images were popping into my head, and I was sure the brakes would be insubstantial for the speed I was going.

The man who once did over 130 mph in a slightly modified Datsun 260Z, does not feel good going over 25 on his little 2-smoker.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Amen to that. I mostly use the bike to get outside and enjoy the fresh air and exercise my knees. Bicycles are designed to be ridden at 30 mph for hours on end.....

Tsbrunell

Apr 22, 2011
Harford County, MD
Thats the only problem....I definately dont feel comfortable giving it full throttle for more than 5 miles or so without stopping for a slight cool-down. I'm thinking that maybe I could try going the opposite direction soon and putting the much larger sprocket on like the 50T or bigger, that way the top speed would be around 30 I bet. Thered be so much acceleration that it'd be basically a dirt bike. Before I downsized the 44T stock sprocket, I was getting insane acceleration which was way fun. As much as I like top speed, it takes probably a quarter mile to get up to cruise speed

I went through 2 beach cruiser bike frames so far before I went out and bought a sturdy mountian bike with shocks on craigslist. The entice frame on the previous bikes would crack and completely snap loose in a lot of places

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
A 50T sprocket 'might' get you a top speed of about 25MPH at screaming full throttle?
Most guys don't realize it, but the stock 44T is a very well thought out gear!
I run 40T's on all my personal bikes; it gives you a little more top speed without losing a lot of 'pulling' power.

A skinny guy like Bairdco with a fully modified & tuned engine can get away with using a 28T.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
At 200lbs I really like my 34T & 36T sprocket, goes up the hills just fine and has a nice cruise speed of 30-32MPH, I do have one bike with a 40T and it is OK also, but it cruises nice at 25mph because at 30 that engine vibrates way too much.

just $0.02 nothing more nothing less....

Peace

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
47 mph,ya right....Its your dream and this is the internet so you can so anything you want to....28 to 30 mph is believeable,but 47 no way....End of story....
John

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
2 of my bikes will go 37- 38MPH at WOT that is verified, GPS checked as well as having someone drive beside me.

I'm also a bit skeptical of 47MPH unless that engine is very heavily modified like bairdco does his, but 40ish aint that hard and mine does it with 36T sprockets, milled head, ported intake, jug match ported, well tuned carb.,intake and exhaust ports deburred and polished on exhaust side, and SBP expansion chamber.

With a 28T he should have a possible top speed of roughly 8 MPH faster than mine if the 1 tooth adds 1 mph were to apply as it has been said too up to a point as long as the engine is able to pull that gear at that amount of wind resistance ECT.................

Just like Tom said, a claim like that will get eyebrows up and excite a few.....

we need possitive verification or it wont ever fly with most of us here, we have seen the capabilities of these engines and the lack there of as well, and that is an impossible top speed without major mods.....and I mean MAJOR......!

Peace