Copper Tubing Fuel Tank

GoldenMotor.com

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
2 door:
Sometimes that kind of horrible stuff happens on a smaller scale to me.......but I usually wake up in a cold sweat and realize it was only a bad dream.
TiM

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I'm on a bit of a hold on this. Motor started running bad so I'm getting another one this month coming.

Plus my sediment filter must be coming by cargo container. The ebay company I bought it from is in New Delhi, India :p and the small print said it could take a month :(.bf.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I lied :) I have ordered most of the parts to continue the build. After trying a hogburner propane torch to heat the solder up to remove that cap and failing I have concluded that the sheer mass of copper needing to be heated up exceeds my feeble efforts. The piece weighs 5 pounds... The "T" fitting is cast copper and very heavy and is acting as a heat sink to pull heat away from where its needed.

Because of this I'll lose about a pint of tank capacity, no big deal. It's still going to hold about a gallon.

I hope after bills I have enough money left to go to Andy's Supply and get what I need for a gas cap.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
More parts have arrived. Stainless steel screwclamps and a '70's style Shimano single stem shifter to get the twist grip off the handle bar. I got so much stuff on the right hand side of the bar the throttle hangs off the end of the bar and I have asymetrical hand position on the handle bar.

The luckyearlybird Tail Light Assembly is a piece of junk. I'm working with a guy on youtube to fabricate a Brass and Aluminum Coach Light. I'll have two bulbs in it, 1 for a tail light and 1 for a brake light. I'll use the same type of bulb for both with a diode chain to drop the voltage to the tail light to make it dimmer. I could actually use 1 light with the two wireing circuits going to it. Have to think on that one..

I'll try to get someone who knows about uploading photo's to shoot some of the assembly.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Ok, I got the parts to put the tank together except for the filler and what I have in mind for that involves some 90 degree fittings so I can offset the filler from the center line so my full length sight-gauge will run up the top of the tank. I got clear PVC fuel line, not the clear styrene or whatever the generic clear is made from. Plus there's no lettering on it :) Brass 1/4" 90 degree fittings and near-instant gauge. Also got the brass valve from BGF. I tried to blow compressed air through it and it didn't leak so I'm hoping...

Tomorrow I start cutting the tubes after I take one last stab at un-soldering that cap. Propane camp stove and two torches with brick surrounding it. My efforts so far have not distorted the cap or tubing so maybe this time...:-||

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Was checking out some lanterns at local dollar place , exact copy of your earlier pic only there tiny ( prob only 3-4 inch tall) . I guess there for decaration only cuz the sticker telling you in spanish not to put a candlle in it is bigger then whole thing ?
My girlfriend had my arms full of crap at the time so no pic ,but they had about 15-20 of them . Lett me know if your intrested ,will grab some ,only 99 cents ltr

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Was checking out some lanterns at local dollar place , exact copy of your earlier pic only there tiny ( prob only 3-4 inch tall) . I guess there for decaration only cuz the sticker telling you in spanish not to put a candlle in it is bigger then whole thing ?
My girlfriend had my arms full of crap at the time so no pic ,but they had about 15-20 of them . Lett me know if your intrested ,will grab some ,only 99 cents ltr
Wow, thanks for remembering! I think a couple would be cool BUT I'm on SSI and as you can imagine I'm a little short of cash between paydays. I hope they still have a couple when I get paid again.

...photos.....dragging my feet on this one. Old dog, new trick :p