Anti theft measures.

GoldenMotor.com

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
I was thinking about it, and I came up with 2 simple ideas.

The first, is adding a lock to the clutch handle. You can't pull it in without unlocking it. It would be one of those locks that just turn 90 degrees, like a locker works.

The second is a electronic type lock that gets wired up between the CDI and the engine, at least that way the engine is useless without a key (unless they reqire it, which they wouldn't unless they took it home).

Thought?

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
But no one really wants to carry excess. I already have to carry keys around, so an extra 1-2 keys won't bother me. The CDI idea is easy though, mainly due to the fact all you need to some kind of drit bike ignition barrel.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
There is a member here that makes a keyed CDI, the key switch is attached to the CDI and removing it destroys the CDI. You have to have the key to start it. If you do a search here for key + CDI I'm sure you will find the thread.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I never let my bike out of my sight...even when it is locked. It cost too much money and took me a few months to get it set up exactly how I wanted it to risk losing it.

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Seriously just get one of those THICK 'metal rope' locks, They are very hard to cut with hand tools, Though only take a few seconds with a battery powered angle grinder, At least those will draw attention used infront of a store :)
Reguardless if the motor works or not, someone could just walk away with it, or throw it in thier pickup truck if its not tied up to something. Its NOT a motorbike people, If its light enough for 1 person to pickup and walk away with, they will.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Very valid point Black Moons, w/that in mind I didn't even bother with a kill switch let alone a keyed ignition - choke to shut down & turn the fuel off, I figure few people know how to start the thing, if they do - they're prolly a friend of mine, they won't get far, and I know where they live anyway heh. If I'm actually worried about theft I bring it inside or just lock it up to something w/the ol' cable lock ;)

I did actually install a "hidden" toggle kill switch, never bothered to wire it up tho, a buddy thought he'd mess w/me one day and flipped it to the "off" position, figuring he'd get a few lols as I tried to "fix" my bike... I vroomed off & didn't even know what he had done till the next day at work where he simply stated, "I guess your kill switch doesn't work..." lol

Little does he know that despite the fact his prank was "stillborn" - he's still thrown down the glove and one day when I get bored enough his coil wire is gonna "mysteriously" wander off :D

Last edited:

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
I do use a thick metal rope lock. I managed to cut through one in about 2 minutes with a pair of garden clippers. A locking clutch soudns like a good idea though, mainly because people won't really be able to get away fast if they try n take it.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
We always lock our bikes together with a small cable lock & leave them for hours unattended at Venice Beach.
We simply lock them in a high traffic area where someone cutting the lock will draw attention.
So far, this has worked very well. *knock on wood* ;)

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
ok so it all depends on what your doing if your going into a store for a few minutes a simple cable usually will do but if you lock it up in the same place day after day or for extended period of time heres a few ideas to go from

if you have quick release hubs put hub locks on so your tiers dont walk off
then put rim locks on so the tire dont turn
then use a u lock to secure frame to a bike rack
then use a super heavy duty cable lock with lock built in the cable (lock is waek point) make sure to go through both front and back tires just incase they get through rim locks
then wire up a key lock
then figure out some sort of clutch lock
then put a car alarm on so if anybody walks next to it or looks at it it goes off

and most importantly lock it up in a high traffic public place all these safety measure can be overcome in time and a dark secluded spot is a good place to overcome your security precautions

if that isnt enough to make you feel safe start taking parts off

seriously those are just options available i personly use a super heavy duty cable

they do actually have bike alarms, rim locks, hub locks , and ive seen a keyed ignition setup here

now if you had all these secuerity setups im sure your bike would be safe but it would take longer to lock your bike than to cruise across town

sometimes when i go into a quick stop i leave the clutch engaged and slip the spark plug wire off and park bike in the window i havent had any problems

KevXR

Nov 18, 2010
Nor Cal
Locks are to keep honest people honest, professional thieves will try to steal it anyway.

In Junior High School, bikes were locked in a bike yard. But if you had a cheap combination lock, it would get picked, your bike moved, and relocked. A warning that your lock sucked.

San Francisco is infamous for incidents where: a van pulls up, 4 guys get out, grab a sportsbike, load it in and drive away. If a 500 lb bike can be hauled away, your bike can too. My friend's Honda CR250 was stolen off a trailer while he slept upstairs 20 feet away.

Light deterrents I carry on my motorcycle.
o Padlock I can lock the drive chain to the rear sprockets.
o Personal alarm. Replace the pull pin with an easier sliding ziptie, fishing line, set so the wheel rotation sets it off.
o I plan on adding a hidden kill switch.

Small bikes need to be locked to something immovable. A cable and a large padlock.

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
We always lock our bikes together with a small cable lock & leave them for hours unattended at Venice Beach.
We simply lock them in a high traffic area where someone cutting the lock will draw attention.
So far, this has worked very well. *knock on wood* ;)
I think you've just been lucky. I had my bike stolen recently in a busy parking lot locked to a tree with a thick Krytonite cable lock. Now I realize that relatively small cutters can cut through these. I now use a U-lock which is much harder to defeat.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
So far my bike either lives in the garage under watch of a security camera inside and one outside with a long chain that is locked to a pallet of stuff, a large home-built air compressor, and my wife's MB, or locked to a railing beside our loading dock at work with a good U-lock through the back wheel and frame holding the ends of a heavy duty cable that I thread through the rest of the bike and the railing.

My wife's bike will need new locks before she leaves it anywhere besides the house, and even more after that once we've built her a trailer for it.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
I just use a U-lock to a secured stand. But then my best anti-theft method is just living in a small town where I'm the only guy who has motorbicycles. I lock it more to discourage tourists.

Rickygs

Jul 10, 2011
Geneva,NY
Our town cops use hand cuffs to lock there bikes up.They put one side on there tire and the other end on there there frame. If they want your bike they will take it no matter how many locks you have on it. But with the cuffs you have the satisfaction of knowing you will give them a major headache trying to remove the cuffs.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Very valid point Black Moons, w/that in mind I didn't even bother with a kill switch let alone a keyed ignition - choke to shut down & turn the fuel off, I figure few people know how to start the thing, if they do - they're prolly a friend of mine, they won't get far, and I know where they live anyway heh. If I'm actually worried about theft I bring it inside or just lock it up to something w/the ol' cable lock ;)

I did actually install a "hidden" toggle kill switch, never bothered to wire it up tho, a buddy thought he'd mess w/me one day and flipped it to the "off" position, figuring he'd get a few lols as I tried to "fix" my bike... I vroomed off & didn't even know what he had done till the next day at work where he simply stated, "I guess your kill switch doesn't work..." lol

Little does he know that despite the fact his prank was "stillborn" - he's still thrown down the glove and one day when I get bored enough his coil wire is gonna "mysteriously" wander off :D
If you really want to get him replace it with a fake wire.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Anybody thought about a fork lock so the fork couldn't be turned. Years ago I had a motorcycle with one. Just be sure to unlock it before you ride off.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Our town cops use hand cuffs to lock there bikes up.They put one side on there tire and the other end on there there frame. If they want your bike they will take it no matter how many locks you have on it. But with the cuffs you have the satisfaction of knowing you will give them a major headache trying to remove the cuffs.
Yeah, I know, a good set of bolt cutters and she's gone, but like the man said; "locks are to keep honest people, honest". A real thief is gonna get it if he wants it.
Leg shackles fit around more thnings than handcuffs. Works for me.
Tom

Attachments