army bike

GoldenMotor.com

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Pretty interesting. Inspiration? Based on? Where is the thing that makes it go? Armament?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You have your priorities right. Armor first. Propulsion will take care of itself if the armor isn't adequate.

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
Markeatmark,
That will be an incredibly cool bike! (I'm guessing you're about to put an engine on it?) My bike has a WWII-Army theme too, but I decided to put a NuVinci hub on it and now it's been down for literally months as I continue to wait on parts...
Anyway, I really like the armor. Post more pics as your build comes along!

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
Neat Times,
I've been reading about how great the NuVinci hubs are too - I should hopefully be able to find out first-hand in the next couple of days (that's when UPS says my parts should arrive). I bought the NuVinci hub from TreeFortBikes.com for about $150 less than anywhere else I could find - which was great, except that it didn't come with a freewheel/sprocket. So then I ordered that part from yet another website, and until just recently it has been backordered forever.
I decided on a 16-tooth freewheel, because I read another post in these forums from a guy using an 18-tooth sprocket on his NuVinci, and his description sounded like more low-end power, not as much high-end (if I'm remembering correctly I think he said his top speed was 30mph).
Another thought if you're thinking of a NuVinci hub - measure the distance between your rear drop-outs, because the NuVinci is roughly 140mm wide. I have a steel Micargi cruiser designed for a typical coasterbrake hub, and I had to spread the drop-outs apart using a length of all-thread and some nuts. This worked out really well on my steel frame, but I've heard that aluminum frames cannot be spread apart as easily.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Thanks for the additional info. I like the concept allot. It should be one heck of riot to build and show off! If your concerned about having a fire arm or proximally, maybe you could mount up a spade or similar equipment to create the utilitarian Army feel of your reference. I went on a motorcycle run one time with a guy riding one of those Harleys, restored and fully fitted out with original gear, he even wore khakis and an authentic tankers football helmet. It was cool.

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Thanks for the additional info. I like the concept allot. It should be one heck of riot to build and show off! If your concerned about having a fire arm or proximally, maybe you could mount up a spade or similar equipment to create the utilitarian Army feel of your reference. I went on a motorcycle run one time with a guy riding one of those Harleys, restored and fully fitted out with original gear, he even wore khakis and an authentic tankers football helmet. It was cool.
I finished
the visor on the head light
Awsome headlight!! K.I.P, I was planning on makeing a red-spade "emblom" on my bike's sidecar (first i have to build ht e sidecar lol)

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Side car?! Whoa, that would be awesome on this build! I can see the vague pod shape with a rear wheel fender over the side wheel! And of course a crimson spade emblem on the side towards the nose. I understand your humor but are you really thinking about it?