I'm up and running

GoldenMotor.com

mohawk600

Jul 2, 2009
Corpus Christi, TX
Well, I finally got my engine and bike together.........it's a Trek 850 with an 80cc engine. Installation wasn't too bad but had some trouble getting it started at first. Had to tinker with clutch plate tension. I've had it going for a week now and am riding all over Corpus Christi with it. I just got a cyclometer today so now I can see mph, log miles, and figure mileage.

A couple of questions.........

1) I've used mid grade gas during break-in. If I go to premium will I see any increase in power or effeciency?
2) My gas line seems to leak. I zip tied the line to the nipple coming out of the shut off valve and have tightened the screws on the valve but it still leaks. Should I replace the gasket? Is this a common problem like with weed-eaters?
3) Are there any commonly wearing parts that I need to stock in reserve? Like the clutch plate? Any suggestions would be appreciated here.
4) Are there any riders in Corpus Christi who would like to hook up? I live near Oso Bay.

Thanks guys...............luvin my bike........willl try to post some pics.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
regular gas works best,no you wont get nothing out of using premium gas.

your gas is probally leaking from the shutoff valve threads where it goes into the tank, did you use the red washer on it and did you use some gas resistant teflon tape or something like it around the threads before screwing it in.
mine leaked from the threads even with a washer,then i put teflon tape on it too and no more leaks.

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
as far as the clutch is concerned just some spare clutch friction pads wouldnt be a bad idea (theres 15 in my motor). they do last a very long time but it depends on your riding habit.. if you ride the clutch from standing start like a motorcycle (not recommended) you will wear em out alot quicker 'cause its a dry clutch

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I replace the motor studs and the tank petcock before I ever mount the motor. I've been using the hardware kit and ball valve tank petcock from Sick Bike Parts. I priced out all the bolts and studs in their hardware kit, at 9.95 it was about the same as buying them separately at the local hardware store and you get all the right ones. The tank petcock they sell is very high quality and I promise leak free. BTW The yellow "gas" teflon tape? The gas refrence isn't gasoline, it's like for oxygen etc.