Friction Drive Roller Traction in the rain? Sand + Glue?

GoldenMotor.com

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I have been riding around ironing out all the bugs or just getting used to them such as correct pressure of drive roller on tire among inner tubes and a few other problems that needed dealing with. Also Kenda just jacked up triple thick tube prices so get em while/if you can.. cheap...

Do I use glue and some kind of sand to coat the drive roller to gain traction in wet weather?
I recall somebody stating here that a fine sand and two or three coats of glue or varnish on a drive roller will work well for traction.

The reason I ask is because the roller will slip if little pressure is added to it when wet. If I clamp it down hard onto the tire then it will slow the bike down over 50 - 70% and will not slip but in the rain that is not the speed I would want to achieve.

Any help from a vet would be helpful to is newbies.

xct2

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
use friction tape like they use on stairs,it comes in a roll,it feels like rough sandpaper on one side.
or use a bmx foot peg,they have a rough textured pattern.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Thanks for the tip. Somebody said that fine "jewelers?" sand and some sort of adhesive will work and not destroy the tires? I figure the idea you have would not hurt the tires much would it? I am looking sor some traction with the least tire wear...

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I did a search here for the single word "traction" .. I ftinhke I spelled it correctly and consider this a slightly important topic for friction nerds. It rains in many parts of the world quite often. London is always wet.

Let me spice it up a tad.. Are pure slicks best in wet road conditions? I saw a youtube friction demo created by I think BMP's and the tire was many small knobs almost creating a smooth constant "slick" but was not totally slick. would tires like these help the morning after a rain and the roads are all wet? Keep in mind my goal is to not sand blast the tires and waste money on tires but to achieve long distance capabilities of the system through rain/snow.

Keep in mind.. If there is a severe solar storm or EMP discharge you are the owners of some of the few moving vehicles that will function. Thus.. this is a matter of not national but global security! If times ever get that bad I doubt gas will be flowing and refined so maybe this is all in vain.

YouTube - jb1970ny's Channel

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I use friction drive on my twin-engined cruiser "The Dragon Lady".

Staton friction rollers are heavily knurled in a diamond pattern and don't need sand or glue.

I'm committed to riding to work on a daily basis, rain or shine. This is the rain and windy season rught now. When riding on wet roads and through puddles, I just slow down and pedal more.

Look for the engine's sweet spot where it will pull with least amount of slippage. Pedal along with that spot.

Ya might end up pedalling quite a bit, but not as much as a regular bike.

If the situation gets too slippery especially going uphill, raise the entire assembly and pedal away from this temporary inconvenience.

If the situation gets so that you can't live with it, convert to chain drive.