Springer for a Jaguar

GoldenMotor.com

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
I was browsing over in the photo forum and noticed a few cruisers with springers. I have a Jag that's nearly completed and would love a springer for it. Does anyone know where I can buy one and secondly, can caliper breaks be used on it?
Thanks,
Larry

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I have seen several custom bicycle places on the internet where you could order them. When Cruiser had his Jaguar he bought one from his local Schwinn dealer. I think I have a website in my favorites on my computer at work that sells them. I'll post a link when I get to work..............................

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
Bill,
Are you running a front brake on your bike? I would like a springer and SpookyTooth's pricing is great, but I need more braking that the two skimpy pads on the rear axle.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I use a sturmey-archer X-FD front drum
3rd bike it's been on !

I have seen people use a bmx-type front caliper as well
(the kind that bolts to the fender mounting hole on the forks)

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
How's ride with a springer front?

How reliable is having a springer? I'm affraid of it failing and front tire breaks off and my face says hello to the ground faster than I can blink.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
it has never given me any reason to worry :)
it was reccomended to use locktite on the adjuster bolt to keep it from backing out tho
the ride is much more comfortable with suspension than without

myke

Mar 23, 2009
Chicago
I know that I am new to this forums, and I feel bad about barging in without helping also, but I am new to this hobby and I have jumped in with both feet without first researching everything. :( I picked up my Jaguar at Target, and got the china kit from some dude on ebay. So far I keep running into road blocks at every turn.

I wanted to upgrade the front end with the springer design to be kewl like the rest of you, lol. I ordered a schwinn 7 springer front end from another dude on ebay, silly me I was thinking schwinn is schwinn and it would fit on easy, wrong.

The schwinn jaguar neck that goes down into the fork tube is larger then the neck tube on the schwinn 7. I think I am measuring it at 22 mm? and it has a part number stamped on it that ends with a 22. I have a line on a schwinn dealer that is open tomorrow and should have used ones to fit the smaller tube, anyone know what size I am looking for here? I measure the ID at 21 mm? Do they make 22 and also a 21 mm neck?

Second issue with this forks might be a little tougher to solve. The tube is also about 22 mm longer then the original forks off the Jaguar. There are plenty of threads and I have already had it in the frame, it works but there will be a large gap of 22 mm between the jam nut and the spring bracket.

Should I cut off the extra 22 mm or find some spacers to put in there or should I give up and try to find a springer forks that fits better?

Thanks for any feedback!

myke

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I know that I am new to this forums, and I feel bad about barging in without helping also, but I am new to this hobby and I have jumped in with both feet without first researching everything. :( I picked up my Jaguar at Target, and got the china kit from some dude on ebay. So far I keep running into road blocks at every turn.

I wanted to upgrade the front end with the springer design to be kewl like the rest of you, lol. I ordered a schwinn 7 springer front end from another dude on ebay, silly me I was thinking schwinn is schwinn and it would fit on easy, wrong.

The schwinn jaguar neck that goes down into the fork tube is larger then the neck tube on the schwinn 7. I think I am measuring it at 22 mm? and it has a part number stamped on it that ends with a 22. I have a line on a schwinn dealer that is open tomorrow and should have used ones to fit the smaller tube, anyone know what size I am looking for here? I measure the ID at 21 mm? Do they make 22 and also a 21 mm neck?

Second issue with this forks might be a little tougher to solve. The tube is also about 22 mm longer then the original forks off the Jaguar. There are plenty of threads and I have already had it in the frame, it works but there will be a large gap of 22 mm between the jam nut and the spring bracket.

Should I cut off the extra 22 mm or find some spacers to put in there or should I give up and try to find a springer forks that fits better?

Thanks for any feedback!

myke
Measure your original steering tube length and cut the new one the same length plus the thickness of the spring perch. Hint: Thread the top nut onto the tube before cutting then carefully back it off to help clean up the threads. Run a file over the cut off end to make sure there are no damaged threads to mess you up later.
Tom

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Dan,
thanks for the compliment :)
yes, that's my battery for the head n tail lights...
it is now mounted under the gas tank on the canti bars, it broke the rack, snapped the middle support, where it was hose-clamped on...the weight balance is better now tho :)

here's my thread on the Jag
http://motorbicycling.com/f15/my-jag-1372.html

ps...sometime this week, it should be running a 4stroke from EZM dance1

myke

Mar 23, 2009
Chicago
Somehow I got incredibly lucky and cut off just the perfect amount the first try and I now have my springer forks installed. My plan was to shorten it a little then mount and re-measure and make a final cut. But somehow I made a "mistake" and it was perfect after the first try.

myke