Nexus 4-speed thoughts?

GoldenMotor.com

Fischart

Mar 20, 2011
Western MA
So I just bought what the seller and I thought was a Nexus 7, till he started packing it and saw that it was the rare and discontinued Nexus 4 speed.

I got it for like $65 and it has everything, new in box. (coaster brake)

My understanding from Sheldon Brown is that this hub up-shifts only and is a 1 to 1 1st gear.

In a motorbicycle application, is this a good thing? It will be on a heavy bike with suzuki k10 forks and a suspension swingarm rear.

I like the idea of pedaling while motoring. On the faster flats and to aid it up a hill.

Also would this be a good candidate for a jackshaft?

The bad news is it is very hard to find parts for should something go wrong. But on the other hand it is NIB and pretty cheap for an internal geared hub.

Love any thoughts y'all have. He is willing to refund if I don't want it, but is firm on it being the same price.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
So I just bought what the seller and I thought was a Nexus 7, till he started packing it and saw that it was the rare and discontinued Nexus 4 speed.

I got it for like $65 and it has everything, new in box. (coaster brake)

My understanding from Sheldon Brown is that this hub up-shifts only and is a 1 to 1 1st gear.

In a motorbicycle application, is this a good thing? It will be on a heavy bike with suzuki k10 forks and a suspension swingarm rear.

I like the idea of pedaling while motoring. On the faster flats and to aid it up a hill.

Also would this be a good candidate for a jackshaft?

The bad news is it is very hard to find parts for should something go wrong. But on the other hand it is NIB and pretty cheap for an internal geared hub.

Love any thoughts y'all have. He is willing to refund if I don't want it, but is firm on it being the same price.
That sounds kinda strange, it only up-shifts? What goes up, must come down eventually. I'd go for that hub, but only if it shifts both ways, otherwise it's useless.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
It shifts both ways. First gear is 1:1 in Nexus 4 speed hub. 2, 3, and 4 are overdrives. Best to go with a small front crank ring.
In contrast, second gear is 1:1 in the Nexus three speed hub. It has an underdrive and overdrive gear too.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Unless I'm mistaken, if that has a coaster brake then you can't use a jack shaft shifter like the one from SBP. If I understand correctly you need to have a freewheel type of hub with internal gears, not a coaster brake.
SB

Fischart

Mar 20, 2011
Western MA
Thanks for the replies on this guys! For some reason I wasn't getting notifications.

I was not aware of the coaster brake limitation on the jack shaft kit. Bummer!

But I really appreciate the info on this hub! I have a 24" worksman rim to lace it into now.

Ronzworld

Feb 21, 2014
Regina,Saskatchewan
Hi there ... just wondering how you ended up making out with the Nexus 4 speed hub ? I just came across one myself and was thinking maybe it might be the answer for a build I'm in the middle of ... Would be nice ta know if it is a good idea too use it or not ? I will use a jack shaft kit with it as well , illiminating the coaster brake and going with hand brake w/disc up front . Did you manage to get it shifting both directions ?

** Ride with Pride **