sprocket/\chain help

GoldenMotor.com

aarcher30

Sep 18, 2014
masontown, pa
On my china girl my new 41t sprocket from bgf was put on today with joy after figuring my original sprocket was warped, it had a slight wobble but only rode it for about 250 miles, the new one I put on makes my chain tight to where I adjust it to half inch slack turn the wheel a quarter turn and I got an inch to1 1/16th, I closely watched my chain and sprocket connection at the bottom and indeed it feeds it at a slight wobble when I take it for a spin when chain pops when start peddling and if not then , for sure pops when I try to start it, then my stock chain tentionier goes into my spokes ND those are upgraded bolts,I have bent wrenches trying to muscle them tight as possible, any ideas? Sorry long post

aarcher30

Sep 18, 2014
masontown, pa
Oh I forgot to ask can u over tighten the mount, and the spokes break by over tightening and what is recommend, I dont have a tork wrench yet so what can I do or how can I tell there on right?

2strokebke

May 17, 2013
Richmond,Va
Its normal too have a slight wobble, But the most important is make sure the moto bike chain is true from the back to the front of the chain where the engine drive chain is. Dont over tight the chain or you will have problems it needs to be loos some but not to much.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ok but how tight to I tighten the sprocket to the spokes with out harming them
There are pages of discussion regarding how to properly install the sprocket.
Here are a few suggestions for you to read > http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...sc.tab=0&gsc.q=Installing sprocket&gsc.page=1

You want no wobble. Even a little can cause big problems. The sprocket MUST be centered on the rear hub. You'll want 1/2" to 3/4" of slack in the chain. Too tight or too loose will also cause you headaches.

How about a photo of your sprocket installation. That would help us tell if the assembly is correct.

Tom

aarcher30

Sep 18, 2014
masontown, pa
Thank you for more advice, I have been reading the forum before I posted but always seems there's something slightly different, mine I dont see a wobble side to side but also I dont have an effective way to really spin the wheel while installing, I'm gonna try to set an old bike upside down and use that as a wheel holder, btw I dont have much and on a budget, is there a easy way to build a bike rack/holder? For some reason I can not post pics on here it will not give me the option to browse, sorry 2door, but description: 41t 8.8 bolts, rag,spokes,rag,3pcs metal 1\3 moon pieces, nuts. The "dome" is facing out, I dont understand the teeth in and out saying. It almost seems that I might need a second rag behind the sprocket to move it closer to the frame, would that harm anything in the long run?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your install of the rag joint souds correct. Sprocket, rubber, spokes, rubber and metal half moon plates.

As for the sprocket teeth being in or out, that isn't the issue. You want the chain prefectly aligned with both the drive and driven sprockets. Whatever it takes to get that you need to do. Here's a diagram that better illustrates what 'alignment' means and how to achieve it using a straightedge.

Tom

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Could the chain tentioner cause the chain to go from loose to tight if it is to close to the rear sprocket?
Only if the tensioner wheel is off-center of its shaft. Or, if you're using a spring tensioner. A rigid tensioner bracket and tensioner wheel that is concentric can't cause the chain to go tight and then loose.

Your rear (driven) sprocket is probably the issue. It MUST be centered on the rear hub. We're assuming the engine is secured to the frame so it can't move?

One other thing can cause the chain to go tight/loose and that is if the chain isn't riding the sprocket the same over the full diameter of the sprocket. If the teeth are interfering with the chain rollers and the chain is riding higher on some teeth that will cause it to get tight then loosen when it passes over that area of the sprocket. Some kit supplied chains can have binding rollers and side plates that will not let it engage the sprocket teeth correctly. A wobble in the sprocket can also cause this. Check your chain or replace it with industrial quality #41 chain.

Tom

Last edited: