Need help again . . . sprocket assembly

GoldenMotor.com

KarenH

Sep 21, 2014
Orange Park, Florida
Ok, I failed to periodically check and tighten nuts and bolts, yes I'm an idiot lol. Anyway, the sprocket assembly fell apart on me and chain came off. I ordered sprocket assembly from bikeberry.com and there only appeared to be one size. However, it doesn't fit. It is too small and the holes do not line up with the sprocket on my bike nor do the holes quite line up between the spokes.:-||

Karen

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Can you post pictures, Karen? I'm assuming you're talking about a chain driven gas motor bike, but what kind of engine, what kind of sprocket assembly? Is it what is commonly called the "rag joint" on a China girl kit engine?
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Karen, we all have done the "didn't check" this or that at some time or 3. Just part of the fun.

Just yesterday, I was moving a sprcket from one wheel to another and had the same thing happen. LOL, took me a good while to figure out the back plates were from a different rag joint.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Anyway, the sprocket assembly fell apart on me and chain came off. I ordered sprocket assembly from bikeberry.com and there only appeared to be one size. However, it doesn't fit. It is too small and the holes do not line up with the sprocket on my bike nor do the holes quite line up between the spokes.

Karen
There are two sizes of 9 hole sprockets.
The smaller diameter size is not very common and
has not been sold with kits for a long time.

If you have a large diameter hub the smaller hole pattern
may hit the hub.

How many holes in your assembly?

Posting a pic would be helpful.

Mean.motor

Mar 14, 2014
Brampton, ON
Ok, I failed to periodically check and tighten nuts and bolts, yes I'm an idiot lol. Anyway, the sprocket assembly fell apart on me and chain came off. I ordered sprocket assembly from bikeberry.com and there only appeared to be one size. However, it doesn't fit. It is too small and the holes do not line up with the sprocket on my bike nor do the holes quite line up between the spokes.:-||

Karen
Hrmmm...that's weird. sometimes there's a little lip around the hub seal that doesn't allow the sprocket to slide on properly but as for the holes not lining up,.. that's weird..

Please post Pics.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just a thought, Karen. I dog em down pretty tight and wondering if that is part of why yours backed out?

The compression of the rubber trying to reexpand holds the nuts from turning. Or should.

Just a thought.

KarenH

Sep 21, 2014
Orange Park, Florida
These are the pics I sent to bikeberry showing them how the sprocket assembly they sent me was too small. Some of the pics show a couple of the old parts that are right size too as well as a comparision between the two.

Attachments

2strokebke

May 17, 2013
Richmond,Va
If you dont wanna wait for 1week, go to a machine shop and get them too make you one and tell bikeberry you want your money back. yeah too my sprocket nuts/bolts was coming loose on my also so i put code red locktight. blue dont work i already tryed that. If you use red you will need a torch to take off.

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
On a side note, why am I ONLY able to post something under new members and not the main category?
you should be able to post in all the forums, the only one that has any restrictions is the welcome to the world of motorized bicycles forum and no new threads can be started in that one

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Karen from the pictures of the old parts they are not that bad, you can probably reverse the belt material and be OK. If you flip the side of the belt that was against the spokes out against the plates and on the sprocket it should work. The rag joint material is made of conveyor belt, I have made them from scrape from work.

KarenH

Sep 21, 2014
Orange Park, Florida
I managed to combine the couple of original sprocket assembly parts I had with a couple of the new sprocket parts and got it running. I don't think it is very safe to ride too much though since I only managed to get 3 nuts and bolts lined up and bolted into place and it is supposed to have 9! So I'm still going to work on getting the correct size assembly, but at least I now know that I CAN fix it!

KarenH

Sep 21, 2014
Orange Park, Florida
I took bike for a test run this evening and it is really running sluggish. It even stalled going up a sorta steep hill. I'm in Florida so it isn't like a really steep hill lol. Also, I noticed the chain for the motor is a little loose on the sprocket, probably because it isn't a permanent fix with only 3 bolts holding it on. So, is it normal to run sluggish during cooler weather or is it because the chain is a little loose?

Oh, by the way, I am able to post under the general category.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I really wouldn't ride it with so few bolts, Karen. Or any less than the 9.

The loose chain could be that the sprocket is now off center or wobbling.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
These things do tend to make ya a good "wrench"/mechanic and bald from pulling your own hair out. lol

Can only get better, Karen.