crank sprocket sticking out further

GoldenMotor.com

pierce.jeremy

Aug 5, 2014
Ashtabula, Ohio
One day I was riding and I heard like a pop or somthing. The engine started vibrating and then cut out. Then I couldnt get it started again. I took it apart to find out what happend and found the small bevel gear was sticking out more than it should. I got it running again after a few ajustments. But the gear is getting chewed up. What went wrong I wonder. Can anyone help? It seems like the shaft has moved out also. How can I fix?

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It sounds like the sprocket has come loose on the shaft. It is located by a woodruff key that fits between the shaft and gear. It is held in place by the big slotted screw you see and a star lock washer placed in between the screw head and gear face supposedly keeps the screw from coming loose. Don't try to run the engine at all with the gear out of place or you will do serious damage to the shaft's outer taper and the gear's inner taper.
Has the gear dug into the inner face of the gear case cover?

I doubt that the shaft has moved any. The whole crankshaft would have shifted inside the cases causing the magneto rotor to grind away at the case on the left side of the engine. I suppose that you could look in the magneto housing to see if there are any metal filings all over the place.
The shaft and flywheel half are machined from one piece of metal, so there is no chance of it sliding out of the flywheel unless the crank pin has come loose and the crankshaft is literally coming apart at the seams. Can you share pictures of what you found?

pierce.jeremy

Aug 5, 2014
Ashtabula, Ohio
No the gear has not dug in to the case. It seems like the gear wont go in all the way back on the shaft like it should. And the mag hasnt moved. But yea the gear keeps coming loose. Il try to get some pics. Thank u for the advice.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I agree with Gearnut. Sounds like your gear has come off the key and cannot go back on due to the key being bound up.
Remove the gear and get your key correct.