cables for hi rise handlebars

GoldenMotor.com

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
You can always make your own throttle cable.
Buy a long length of brake cable at the bike shop, and cut to desired length, make sure to cut the end with the smaller end and keep the bigger end for your throttle assembly.

For the end that goes into the carb slide, you can heat it up with a propane torch, apply a light coating of solder then wrap some thin copper wire, and apply more solder until you get the right blob size that fits in the slide.
If its too big you can always file it down.
hope this helps

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There's no way we can answer that question without actually being there and trying it.
There are too many variables.
As was suggested you'll have to try it yourself then possible buy new cables or make your own. Any bicycle shop or even Wally World (WalMart) sells cables.

Tom

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I had a similar problem with apehangers. Unlike some of the more industrious fellas here, I didn't make my own, I bought tandem cables.

A shifter cable for a tandem should work. If you're not making your own, take the cable to a bike shop to compare ends.

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
I use apehangers on my bike, and the 44" factory cable was barely long enough to reach the carb. When I installed an intake extension tube, I got a long 60" brake cable from my local bike shop, and some "Cable Stays" from my local auto supply house (look in the "Help" section, or ask a salesperson where the cable clamps for throttle cables are located). They are a lot like the clutch cable clamp that comes with a lot of these HT motors. I used the big end of the brake cable in the throttle grip, and after measuring & cutting, I used the 2nd smallest clamp (the smallest was too small of a hole to feed the cable) in the carb's throttle slide. And just to ensure it wouldn't rattle loose, not only did I use RED threadlock on the cable clamp screw, I also soldered over the end of the cable end with a big glob of solder. I always use solder on my cable ends to prevent them from fraying apart, not only does it make them last longer, it also looks nicer. Anyways, it worked for me, but your mileage may vary. I've been running mine for a few months with no problems, hasn't tried to pull apart or ingest the clamp or screw. I hope I never have to pull it apart, as the red threadlock is much stronger than the blue, but if I do I may end up having to use vice grips.

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
I am using a 48" cable for my bike with 11" rise bars and it is cutting it close. Keep in mind that you don't want to have any sharp bends in the cable or your throttle can stick open (happened to me). I had to get a longer cable to fix it.