Can't find copper fuel line pictures???

GoldenMotor.com

NewOrleansFlyer

Jun 27, 2011
Montana
I've searched and searched "Copper Fuel Line", "Copper tubing", lots of combinations, but no good pictures of copper fuel lines. I'm trying for a compression set up with brass nuts and compression fittings. Anybody out there have any good links or pictures. Thanks

superharry

Mar 10, 2012
Mira Loma, CA.
I've used copper tube from an old refrigerator ice/water feed line. Any "good" hardware store has multiple diameters with fittings to match! lol (here anyway) McFadden-Dale is my goto store...

NewOrleansFlyer

Jun 27, 2011
Montana
Harry, we have the HD, and Lowe's here. But my go to is the small Ace Hardware affiliate, Rockhand Hardware, for hardware, and Murdoch's Ranch and Farm Supply is a close second. Thanks for the info..

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Looks like BarelyAWake has one, you can see it in this thread: WTB Brass & Glass Fuel Filter
o.o

lol Yeppers, good eye maurtis & copper lines are great in many ways - not only do they look stylie, but they're completely impervious to the alcohol common in today's fuels...

...however I thought I should mention something folks may already know, just in case - the "loop" in the copper fuel line that's commonly seen on boardtracker style bikes isn't just for show, it's because copper "work hardens" & becomes less flexible the more it's moved/bent/worked, including just from vibration. Including the loop helps the copper from fatiguing over time & assists greatly when you need "bend it just a little" to remove & service the carb/fuel tank... I s'pose it may be obvious - but I do not recommend trying to bend such a tight loop as the one in the fuel line w/o a tubing bender, the ones for brake lines are common & inexpensive and you don't need to get fancy, the spring type ones (with included flaring tool) are cheap but work great ;)

Compression fittings are the way to go w/o a doubt & far easier to remove than the press fit of flexible lines, they don't wear out no matter how often you thread 'em on & off again and I've never had one leak - but be sure to get a coupla extra in case you ever need to replace the fuel line itself w/a new one as they are in no way reusable, the little brass compression nubbin is on there for good lol - even if you managed to get it off, it's inner diameter is smaller than it used to be and won't fit over a new line.

I've also used copper lines w/flared ends to serve as conduit, to route the wires from a generator hub to a headlight (mostly for looks) and to run along the outside curve of the rear fender for the taillight's wiring... if you're interested all of my Rollfast pics are here: http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/Serenity151/Rollfast/

NewOrleansFlyer

Jun 27, 2011
Montana
Thanks BA, did you change out the push on fitting on the carb to compression? Where did you get something like that? I agree whole heartedly about being able to take fittings off and put them on without hassle. Normally, I've had to cut the fuel line off the push on type fittings, because it molds to the fitting overtime....PIA! Thanks again for the pics. Your bike rocks!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thanks NewOrleansFlyer, anytime :)

I'll admit I did cheat and used a very short piece of 1/4" flexible clear fuel line as an "adapter" to connect the copper line to the carb... I honestly meant to get back to it "later" and remove the carb fitting, then drill & tap to take a threaded one - but I never did manage to get around to it lol

...even tho it still annoys me a lil whenever I see it >.< Ah well, too many projects & all that jazz heh ;)

edit: "Where did you get something like that?"

Any good hardware/plumbing/refrigeration & air conditioning repair place outa have them, the fittings are pretty commonplace....

Last edited: