Which way do I go... Which way do I go?

GoldenMotor.com
I have a Worksman INB frame with a China girl engine. I also installed a pull starter. I now need a wider crank, the Worksman has a 1 piece crankset which I have no equipnent to bend. Which way do I go . A wider one piece crank arm, a 3 piece conversion kit with a longer shaft or a 3 piece crankset with the bent arms?
I will need to keep my 36 tooth chain ring due to engine placement.
Thanks for guiding me in the right direction.

Roadapple

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I'd go with a three piece conversion- much lighter weight- Sick Bikes has the wider axle , or at least I got a wider one there a couple years back- don't know if it's wide ebnough for the pull start though - I could sell you mine- I didn't really need it- I'll measure it.

Total length 135mm or about 5 3/8 inches
I see they have a longer spindle that's about $16 shipped -a 158mm-, and they have a cartridge complete long unit for
153mm "for pull start applications" $ before shipping18
205mm $25 before shipping.
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23&osCsid=ng1dkebm0ki43hrgvurkisggk6

and a 36 3 piece pedal sprocket may be a little hard to find , but not that unusual for an older road crank otherwise- a bit of a granny gear

some people use 20" bike cranks that are shorter

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I say just take off your factory crank and take it to the local mechanic or even the high-school (welding class) in your area. As long as you know how you want the bends either one should be able to help. An auto shop might try to charge you $20 or so, where the high-school weld class would probably do it for free as an instruction project...

the link to the one shown is dead tho.
Yeah, thats's what I have been finding everywhere on the Net. Every "wide crank" vender is sold out of product and most links are dead ends.
I've contacted SICK BIKE PARTS for their help in purchasing a bottom bracket conversion and a 153mm cartridge. I'm hoping for Pablo's help in locating the correct crank arms and 36 tooth chainring.
There sure is alot of diffrent ways a crank arm and chainring attach to a spindle!