$20 Wal-Mart Bell Gel Seat..Save Your Money!

GoldenMotor.com

rgvkid

Sep 21, 2008
Los Angeles,CA
So i got the $20 Bell Gel Seat from Wal-mart with the 2 Gel butt pads and i should of just saved a few bucks more and invested in something worth it. Its the most expensive seat they have so i figure you get what you pay for but it really isn't worth it. I have a 15 mile commute and im sure any seat would put on its toll but i was diappointed with the Bell. My next investment will be a suspension seat post and i will have to research on some better seats.

Just my 2 cents, or should i say $20 Bucks.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
The Science of Bicycle Seats
Jim explains this well from a bicyclist's and historian's perspective. Burried in it is a lot of info you can use and adapt to your riding style. a good quality mountain bike saddle works for me and wall mart does not carry a good one. When I raced and rode 500-1000 miles a month a narrow racing saddle was prefered by my butt. I just went along for the ride.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Yes that gel seat sucks, but it's better than something worse. I had a skinny hard MTB seat and it hurt my butt like none other. This is much easier on the tush.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I too have one of these Bell gel seats and find it to be acceptable. I assume you are talking about this one? I have not ridden more than 20 miles at a time but my posterior did not mind it that much.

Attachments

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I too have one of these Bell gel seats and find it to be acceptable. I assume you are talking about this one? I have not ridden more than 20 miles at a time but my posterior did not mind it that much.
That's the one I have. I only ride 6-7 miles at a time normally, so it's not bad for me. it's not as comfy as I had hoped, but it works.

Speaking of your bike Ghost0, where'd you get your mirror? Is that the kind Spooky sells? Wasn't sure how the Spooky ones mount, but everything else I've found goes on the end of the bar and I don't like that...

(sorry to get off topic there)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I had that seat until my Dog ate it when I pulled it off to do something and I left it on the floor. I was very happy with that seat :D

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
The mirror is also a cheap Bell item. I simply lengthened it using a piece of aluminum rod. It is now tall and wide enough to be usefull but not in the way like the end of the bar mounted ones.

rgvkid

Sep 21, 2008
Los Angeles,CA
Yup Ghost, thats the seat. Its Okay, but thats about it. I think the next one cheaper would have been just as good. I think alot has to do with the Poly bushings rather rhen springs under neath the seat.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
The bushings could be softer for sure, but the spring seats I have seen in the same price range do not offer the support and gel that this seat does. So I guess IMHO, the seat is good but the suspension part could be better.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Old thread, but the suspension part is literally non-functional. There's a plastic post in the center of the rubber "springs" that just supports all the weight. I think it was a cost cutting move at the factory for some reason or another. If you cut the plastic posts short enough to allow movement, but long enough to still hold the rubber centered, it will work as intended.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I use Bell sprung cruiser saddles but without the gel pads- even have one on my roadbike these days- never had any trouble and they are comfortable

I also have sprung posts on the motorized bikes, and they help a lot

Attachments

turtle tedd

Jul 18, 2009
florida
Had a few seats including the Wallmart one. My boney old butt hurt after 7 miles..Got a suspension seat post and a 10inch wide Cloud 9 seat..worth every penny ..can ride all day in comfort

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I'm hesitant to buy anything from Bell. All Bell items I've ever used ended up breaking through normal use or simply didn't work at all. Like someone else here said about BGF, I wouldn't buy so much as a washer from Bell.