NE-5 vs SE

GoldenMotor.com

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
The SE has a different head and does not have enough cooling fins. Also the valve seat assembly is a separate unit that is not engineered properly. It is held in place in the cylinder with a screw and the assembly does not fit correctly in most cases. The flywheel is different too. Is this engine for the CVT or the conventional autoclutch? It could be a problem or you may get lucky and get a good one but I personally would not want to take that chance. Hopefully Quenton will chime in on this. If I am wrong or any points I would like to have the correct info stated. (I think I am correct though)

Jim

Last edited:

doug713

Dec 5, 2009
lake havasu city AZ
Thanks jim i can see that the head is different its what i can't see that worrys me like the valve seat assembly you speak of. Are all SE's that way or do you have to remove the head to have a look?Are the heads interchangable?Wheres Quenton?

Last edited:
Hi doug713,

Sorry been so busy with EZM just haven't kept up with the posts.

SE motors used the serial numbers WSE instead of WME. All SE motors have a spot milled at the rear to mount the electric starter bracket, however later NE motors had the same area milled. The early SE motors are rare and approx 60 were sold as optional motor assemblies. All the first edition Ambassadors used the SE motors, and can be identified by the bike using the original automatic clutch [not the CVT] with the 70 MM output pulley. As Jim stated the flywheel is smaller on the suspect motors, and the timing trigger is welded onto the flywheel [earlier motors had the trigger plate attached with a phillips screw].

The early SE motors were hopped up NE motors and sported a milled head [usually cut at poor angle], mushroom lifters, increased I.D. restrictor plate, and the aluminum intake manifold. They were reported to produce 4.1 HP.

None of the early SE motors had the cylinder with the valve module. I suspect the cylinders with the valve module were first used on the NE-r and Ambassador II, and would all have the CVT drive.

No one for sure knows when and where the cylinder with the valve block may show up, as all three late edition Whizzers I have serviced [1-Ambassador II, & 2-NE-r]had the valve block.

If the head is different [spark plug sits straight up, not tilted to the left], it has high odds of using the suspect cylinder.

If you order one on Ebay, chances are it will be the unit with the block, even if denied when ordered.

BTW, I am currently testing a fix for the cylinder with the block, who knows, maybe I cna get it to hold up. So far a couple of test cylinders have made it past 500 miles, but weather has stopped the testing.

Have fun,

Last edited: