weird dropouts

GoldenMotor.com

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I think I just saw a thread "free spirit-murray"something and it was a western flyer(western auto bike?)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
where the axle goes, it's called a "reverse drop-out." can't remember the company that started it, but the claim was that you could remove the rear wheel quicker and easier because you didn't have to remove the chain.

the cool swoopy end is typical of a "spaceliner" bike. it's kinda a double cantilever frame. Sears sold them, and a few other companies had the exact same bike. JC Higgins, Murray, and probably some others. it was a mid '60's bike, all made by the same company, but i forget who it was.

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Well this is interesting,,It says, they were designed so that when riding in the rain the water would run off behind the rear axle abd the tires wouldn't hydroplane and reduce stopping power

not lol xct2

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
My 1976 Western Flyer, made by Murray, has the same long, pointed dropouts.
My dropouts are also connected to the stays by pinching, rather than welding. The long dropouts provide a variety of mounting points for fenders, sissy bars, tail lights, etc.

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Those are typical Murray dropouts. Murray also built bikes for a number of companies, including Sears (JC Higgins, Free Spirit and Sears-badged bikes), Western Auto (Western Flyer) and apparently Gambles (Hiawatha).