Spooky Tooth 44 to 36 tooth sprocket.

GoldenMotor.com

TehInteractive

Apr 29, 2010
Wisconsin
So I finally got my 36 tooth sprocket from Spooky Tooth the other day. I went through the whole process of disconnecting both my chains, taking the rear wheel off, removing all the old hardware and 44 tooth sprocket, putting on the 36 tooth sprocket, shortening both chains, and putting it all back on.

I was excited to see a modest speed gain of at least 5 MPH or something, but after riding around with this sprocket for about 20 miles I can honestly say that I'm going at LEAST 2 MPH SLOWER. WHAT THE ****.

Yeah my engine is turning less RPM's and is half as loud as it was with the 44 tooth sprocket, but really? I even tried going downhill a bit, but my bike is topping out at like 34 MPH. On flat, dry land, I was able to do around 36.5 MPH with my 44 tooth sprocket at will.

What am I doing wrong here? I even swapped out my spark plug with my new NGK BPR6HS plug I just got and it's running exactly the same. I've never even read about this sprocket NOT adding any speed anywhere, and it defies logic for me.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
How much do you weigh,some times the motor Horse power isn't enough to over come the load it is moving,kind of like a tractor trailer has lower gears it uses(more teeth on the sproket) to clime even slight hills when it trailor is full ,,,,,maybe trade for a 40 tooth and see

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I don't know of any charts for this situation and the power of these motors can varry some from one to another,,,the trade for a 40 tooth suggestion was just that the hp of your motor may respond to that 40 tooth gear which would be a little more speed ,and then it may not,The motor might incerase HP with a Expanction( ?) cnamber exhaust talked about on these threads,the search bar at the top is a good place to find different threads on the subjects,,,just thought of this did the chain have the 1/2 - 3/4 inch of play(chain not too tight)other wise I'm just doing the guessing thing

douglasseattle

Oct 5, 2010
United States
I think this is a lot like cars in that the highest top speeds are exhibited in 4th gear and not 5th. You are perhaps off of your power band. Rather than deal with the engine try experimenting with the front wheel. Use an aero one from a racing bicycle (just to see) and wear clothing that is close fitting.

I raced bicycles for years and I can tell you there is a reason for the tight clothing. For example, I used to ride up mt. rainier often and, on the way down, I would easily pass the cars, except on one occasion and that is when i forgot my cycling clothes and instead wore a t shirt and cotton sweat pants. I was so slow! The cars were passing me and there was no way I had the power to overcome the aerodynamic drag.

What you may find is that you will go well above what you had in the past.

Bicycle Power Calculator

look at the above site (found here on motorbicycling) to give you some idea

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Do you have an expansion chamber? Made all the difference on mine with a 44T and now that I have a 36T I cruise at about 35 and I outweigh you by about 70lbs. :D

peeduh

May 27, 2009
Texas
Interesting. I just did the same thing on my bike and it is a def speed change. I won't even go full throttle cause it's too fast for my comfort just yet. I also weigh 205lbs.
Strange