Considering getting a bicycle motor?

GoldenMotor.com

Catfish

Jun 2, 2010
Washington State
Hi guys!

I don't know much about bike motors, but the idea really appeals to me. I'm hoping for some advice from you knowledgeable folks out there. I recently lost my car in an accident, and realized I could get everywhere I need to go with a bike. But how much nicer would it be if I didn't have to pedal it all the time? :D

I've got a bike already, but I'm not sure if a motor will fit on it. It's a cross between a road and mountain bike, which is appropriate for where I live (lots of gravel or dirt roads, but also some pavement). I think the company is called 'Specialized,' and it's a few years old. As I recall it has low suspension. I'd give more info but it's in a different city at the moment.

It'd be nice to have something with some kick, at a relatively low cost. What I'm wondering is what sort of engine I should look at buying. I'd rather not spend more than $300, and definitely not more than $500. I'd guess that gas engines will be cheaper for the power. I want to be able to switch between using the engine and pedaling, too.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
Welcome to this great site. For the money you want to spend and the zip you are looking for, you definately would be buying a two stroke 'china girl'. The 66cc is made in the largest quantities, so it is cheaper than smaller engines. Many sites label the 66cc as '80cc' due to the old China measuring. Look to the sponsers on this site for comparisons. Scroll down to the Laws and Legislation forum to check posts for your state if you have any legal issues. Also, many guys who buy the inexpensive engines upgrade head bolts, gasket and throttle cable. Just read, read, read and have fun.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Howdy welcome to the forum Catfish ! There a rack mounts that go over the rear wheel that work well. Hard to tell without a pict of the bike. This is the rought for most bike frames that will not fit the motor in the frame. Look at any of our sponsors on the sides of the web page here. The price looks to be in your range too! Feel free to ask any questions.

RoadJoy

Jun 2, 2010
Houston
Hi BikeGuy Joe,
I have been around bike engines for about 2 years. I have a couple of good friends that have been riding their bikes for ministry throughout the Southern US. Collectively they have put on over 6000 miles on various engines. I can list them in another thread. At this time I am seeking to find an 80cc Skyhawk slanthead or equivalent to buy for my friend and fellow minister Doug B. Who is a reputable dealer and what engine manufacturer is best for equivalent or better. Price should be between 180 and 200 for an engine kit.

Catfish

Jun 2, 2010
Washington State
So, I'm feeling pretty lazy about getting a motorcycle endorsement. What are the best 49cc engines around? I really don't want to have to pull start each time, either.

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Seems to me Specialized frames are pretty open for the most part, but if you have rear suspension you'll need an SBP or Dax shift kit to run an inframe mount. Rear or rack mount would probably be ok on a suspended bike? (help me here guys!) DISCLAIMER: I'm sorta new at this but have been doing extensive research on the subject. Virtually all the old Specialized bikes I've seen are hard tails with maybe a suspension fork. As for engines, regradless of what others will tell you, a four stroke 49cc will have more torque (usable power) at low rpms than a 2 stroke of the same displacement.

Good Luck and above all....Enjoy!

Last edited:

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
Catfish, if you can stretch your budget just a little more, you'll have a much more usable motored bike.
Check out the SickBikeParts shift kit.

I'm using one myself after finding a single speed drive system less than useful.

If your locality allows you to get away with a 4-stroke engine, please take the Deluxe Option in the shift kit as it come with many useful tools and an upgraded heavy duty bearing system:

Sick Bike Parts

otherwise, if needing a small and compact; stealthy looking engine, it's best to choose the 2-stroke Deluxe Shift Kit:

Sick Bike Parts

Fabian

Catfish

Jun 2, 2010
Washington State
I appreciate all your answers! I'm still trying to decide which one I'll get, but I think I'll definitely go with a motor.

One question though - can they really make bikes go 40mph like the advertisements say? That seems a little faster than I would expect. However, I only weigh 140 lbs with my clothes & shoes on, so maybe they will go faster for me?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Possible... but better to count on about 30mph-ish with any 50-60cc and go from there ;)

A lot of it is build dependent, what you've got for a bike, terrain, wheels, gear ratio, engine tuning, weight, etc. If yer geared for speed - ya won't have much giddyup & vice-versa... unless ya get a shiftkit, then all bets are off lol