Chain keeps breaking?

GoldenMotor.com

rdrunner2010

Sep 24, 2009
Maine
Hi again guys, I have another question and everyone was so helpful last time I figured I'd ask. Most of our issues with the bike are fixed, and we even threw on a rear rim brake. I managed to ride it around a lot, and it seems fine when running under engine power. But as soon as the clutch is pulled in, there are popping noises every few seconds, and I assume this is attributed to my chain problems. I have posted a pic of the chain breaks, and it is the same exact links every time, the inside link facing towards the spokes. I think this is because the chain running from the sprocket isn't perfectly alligned with the engine sprocket (pic attached), but to fix this we're going to have to move the engine to the left, and the muffler will probably hit the pedals because there isn't much space left (pic attached). Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
There are a couple of things to try first. Can you flip the sprocket? Will it dish in towards the spokes, or is it already that way?
Also, you can, if you have the ability, dish the wheel with the spokes a little and it may be enough.

Possibly, remove the rag joint from between the spokes and the sprocket, and substitute a piece of heavy rubber or leather, just much thinner.

It's pretty hard to "move the engine over".

rdrunner2010

Sep 24, 2009
Maine
I already removed the rubber spacer holding the sprocket to the spokes, the only one left is one the inside, and it looks like flipping the sprocket will bring me too close and the chain will touch the spokes. I'm not sure what dishing the wheel with the spokes is, but it sounds risky and complicated.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
There are three things I will suggest...
First, bevel the sides of the sprocket teeth with a grinder or file so that the sprocket feeds into the chain without snagging it.
Second make sure the sprocket spins as perfectly straight as possible!!
Third, make sure the chain tensioner is feeding the chain straight down onto the sprocket, & then screw the tensioner into the frame so it doesn't move!

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
If the above suggestions don't help.. The ultimate fix would be to switch to a shift kit. From your pic the alignment is bad but not terrible. Look around the inside of the motor cover where the chain feeds. See if the chain has been hitting the aluminum. Maybe just reworking the sprocket teeth will be enough.

rdrunner2010

Sep 24, 2009
Maine
Thanks everyone, I figured it was my allignment. Turns out that since me and my dad had to make custom mounts, they were adjustable, so we pried the engine over and locked the mounts down. So far all our problems have disappeared. Now maybe I can do some riding! brnot

rdrunner2010

Sep 24, 2009
Maine
I'm going to keep my fingers crossed, but it seems that since we shifted the engine over the popping noise is gone, and the chain hasn't locked up the wheel yet. But eventually I might get a freewheel kit if I can find a cheap enough one.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Guy's my chain gave up the ghost yesterday, i got a new 1 and its gigantic! i thought the old 1 was big and it was twice the size of a bmx chain.
problem now the chain pins hit the inside casing around the drive sprocket i know its been asked before but is there a way to space the sprocket out?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
There isn't really a way to space the sprocket out from the engine.... The end of the shaft is a bit of a wedge shape & the sprocket wedges onto it.
I would try to find the correct chain.