The imaginary automatic 80cc choke...

GoldenMotor.com

kite surfer

Feb 19, 2016
Gulfport, MS
Ok would like a few opinions on something odd thats happening with my bike.

When my engine is cold, and I start the motor, I get a high idle ( about the same as if I throttled up about a 1/4 - 1/3 of a twist on the accelerator). After the engine runs for a few minutes and warms up, the idle settles down to a normal idle. The motor runs great other wise, and even runs well when I do get underway when cold. Its just until it warms up well. It acts as if it got an automatic choke on it. What could be causing this?

I have...
-Disassembled the carb and cleaned it ( it was spotless ) and checked float levels, also check tightness of jets
-Checked for air leaks around intake and case
-Checked the throttle cable for ease of movement
-Checked choke itself (its tight and is firmly in the off position)
-Checked the needle slide inside the carb, making sure it wasn't sticking a bit while cold

-I keep the fuel valve off when not in use, and the engine starts easily. It doesn't pop or miss.

Any ideas or thoughts? Its not a show stopping kind of problem, but I would prefer the motor to run as it should and want to make sure this isn't a sign of a bigger problem that maybe forming.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I've seen this quite often and have guessed that it is motor running a bit too lean during the warm up period when some of the fuel is condensing out onto the cold crank cheeks - not worried about it tho.