Im Going Legal in PA

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I would say with a license plate, the cops are not likely to bother you as long as you're not doing anything dumb. Most residential areas have a 25mph speed limit anyway, and you can go 4 miles an hour faster than the speed limit without getting a ticket. Now if you're on an open road and the fuzz aint around, let 'er rip. But if you live in a city or commute through heavily trafficked areas, obey the speed limit for legal and safety's sake. Other than that, I suppose its worth it.

fenderhead

Aug 1, 2013
Fleetwood, PA
Thanks, yeah I'm thinking I'll have to build it and install a 49cc chinese engine to get it to pass and then soon after put in a larger, more authentic looking engine. I doubt most cops will hassle you other than to be genuinely interested in the coolness of the bike itself.

kakashi_12

Jul 16, 2013
PA
Talk about hypocritical. You want me to argue with the next cop about the laws of motorized bicycles, but yet you're breaking the law yourself by turning your motorized bicycle into a motorcycle instead of moped.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I'm not being hypocritical, because I could care less if you register your bike or not. I got frustrated when I kept telling you what everyone else has done and you kept saying that it didn't make sense. When I pulled up the current moped fact sheet, you contradicted that as well. so when I said argue with the next cop that pulls you over, it was basically my way of saying that I dont want to argue with you anymore, because I'm telling you what I know based on two things. One, my own personal research (if I ever did want/need to register my bike, its good to know what the requirements are). Two, what I know others have done. No matter how much you argue or contradict what you are being told, it still doesnt change the fact that I only know what I know. And you're sitting here trying to convince me of what the law is, when it doesnt really matter what I say anyway. All that matters is what the cops say. Do what everyone else has done, get a plate and then the cops can not touch you. Its as simple as that. We can go back and forth all day, but once you have that plate on your bike, you're 100% legal. I choose not to register my bike, that is my personal choice, I will not register my bike unless the cops start harassing me, and whether or not my bike is registered is irrelevant to this conversation. The requirements, policies and proper procedures for registering a bike in Pennsylvania have been outlined, detailed and exhaustively covered repeatedly in this thread. Arguing with any of us wont do you any good the next time you get pulled over without tags.

mykustomcruizer

May 16, 2010
pa
not going to lie i live in douglassville pa and ive had 3 motorized bikes and have talked to many different cops in the area and what i have been told is under 50cc and 25 mph i have never been hasseled by a single cop and i have drove right past state police and local police i also dont ride mine like a ass either i just ride to work and back and alot of us do this because we have a suspended license so if there just goin to make you do all this then i guess there will be less on the road no need for me to go through all this to ride a bike that brakes down once a month lol i would rather spend the money and just get a work license

chris b82

Aug 22, 2015
butler pa
Well its going to be a long journey but i will soon have a street legal home made moped.... aka motorized bike.... With all my research finished. i learned i cant go over 50cc and must have break lights turn signals and a head lights to ride on the street... After the bike is finished i must get it approved for the road by an Enhanced Vehicle Inspector. Then i must buy moped insurance about 60 dollars a year. Summit all to the state and receive title and a registered PA moped plate for my bike.

So to sum it all up
50cc kit about $250
Inspection $40
Insurance $60
Registration $6
Look on Police Officers face when i get pulled over and im legit.....

"SUPER HILARIOUS" since one of the cops at my college is a strict butt hole...rotfl

THIS IS WHAT I FOUND DIGGING THREW THE INTERNET!!!!
Default Pennsylvania law regarding motorized bicycles.

There was a test case about motored bikes here in Erie some time ago. The law is that a motorized bicycle is considered an "assisted bicycle". It is not a moped nor is it a motorcycle. It requires no registration, insurance, tittle, inspection, nor anything else not required for a bicycle. It is a gray area of the law and it may (probably will) in time be changed or sorted out or classified differently, and then require some sort of registration, etc. As we all know, the laws can change at a moment's notice.

As of this minute in Pennsylvania an assisted bicycle is a bicycle, period, with the exception that the operator must have a valid drivers license. It must conform to all bicycle laws; stop for red lights, stop signs, use hand signals for stops and turns, have front (white) and rear (red) reflectors, a bicycle may not be driven on sidewalks, etc. It can be used on any path designated for bicycles, use roadways that are legal for use by bicycles, and it must be under 50cc engine displacement with a top speed not to exceed 30 mph. Motorized bicycles may not be used in any Pennsylvania State Park (Pa. Department of Environmental Resourses rule).

I hope this clears things up. Don't be surprised if you are stopped and ticketed however. Many local police have no idea that this is the law, and some seem to think they ARE the law, instead of enforcers of the law. Even some local magistrates may be ignorant of the law and may try to interpret the law differently. If that happens to you, your only recourse will be to hire a lawyer and fight it. Good luck, the law is quite ambiguous in this area, as it is in all gray areas.

Zearobiker

Jul 11, 2015
reading pa
Might wont to check pa law close i just got stoped in exter pa and got toll any gas power motor on bicycle not legal on road at all then they gave me tickets. For no plate no lince no inc they hade bike towed in hade to pay all fines and tow bill $500 in all not worth taking the chance of more fines

Radar00

Apr 28, 2016
PA
I know this is an old on going topic but i there really that many of us trying to get our bikes registered its about time we got together as a lobby and try to figure out how to get the state to give us an easier avenue of registration.

FZ1

Jul 31, 2016
Pennsylvania
Don't know where to look for the particulars, but came across one Congressman working on a bill to legalize electric bicycles. Wrote commended him, and asked him to add motorized 2 stroke engines. I just said they don't pollute that much. Pre.duh.tty lame, I know, but all I could think of at the time.

Dobby

Aug 14, 2016
Forks, Washington
Sounds like all you did was make a home made moped that complied with all the somewhat ambiguous stipulations defined my Penndot. A motor driven pedal cycle is not the same by definition as moped. Also, I may be somewhat uniformed on this but the 2 stroke bicycle motor has a manual centrifugal clutch. There's no automatic shifting happening like there would be with a moped cvt transmission. I'm sure Penndot will gladly allow people to register and accept money for anything with wheels and a gas operated motor as long as people are further modifying the bicycles and overlooking the nature of the transmission. It also sounds like pendot is just focused on the conventional moped aspects of the bicycle.

Last edited:

Dobby

Aug 14, 2016
Forks, Washington
Sounds like all you did was make a home made moped that complied with all the somewhat ambiguous stipulations defined my Penndot. A motor driven pedal cycle is not the same by definition as moped. The 2 stroke bicycle motor has a manual centrifugal clutch? There's no automatic shifting happening like there would be with a moped cvt transmission. I'm sure Penndot will gladly allow people to register and accept money for anything with wheels and a gas operated motor as long as people are further modifying the bicycles and overlooking the nature of the transmission. It also sounds like pendot is just focused on the conventional moped aspects of the bicycle.

Last edited:

Dobby

Aug 14, 2016
Forks, Washington
So I am confused. On PENNDOT's Fact Sheet for Mopeds, Motor-Driven Cycles, and Motorcycles, the following is stated at the bottom:

NOTE: Motorized pedalcycles and side-cars for motorcycles are not titled in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

So if they are not titled, they cannot be registered. If they cant be registered they cant be inspected and/or insured.

Anyone else following my line of thinking here?
Yes you are absolutely correct. People are here are taking motor assisted pedal cycles and turning them into home made mopeds. There is a difference between the two. People here seem to be taking there motor driven pedal cycles and modifying them to fulfil the stipulations of Penndots moped definition. These 2 strokes for bicycles don't even have auto transmissions do they? There no automatic gear shifting like the cvt transmission on a real factory built moped. They are merely single chain, single gear transmissions. Another way of looking at it is that it would be like taking your motor driven pedal cycle and continuously modifying it until it fit the requirements and definition of a motorcycle so that you could get it tagged, registered and insured as such. It's my belief also that when people are attempting this "legal" stuff, they and Penndot are overlooking the transmission aspect. Just making it harder on themselves. The motorized pedal bicycle is legal as it stands. Also Penndot define a bicycle with an electric motor as "pedal cycle" with an electric motor (750 watts) attached and there are no requirements whatsoever, no even a license. The point it that even though it's a different motor it's still defined as a pedal cycle, not a moped.
www.dot.state.pa.us › BMV › fs-momo

Last edited:
LOL, the police here in Oklahoma City kind of ignore us. I see go-karts,mini bikes, motorized scooters 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers around the neighborhood everyday. As long as they aren't to loud or you aren't reckless. If someone calls the police they will come out and tell you to put it up. Also you can't get on main streets with the above mentioned. Ive seen more than a few motorized bikes in traffic, followed one that was buzzing along about 35 MPH. All have been the China Girls. Motorized bikes here are legal as long as they are under 50cc,have an automatic clutch, tail light, rear view mirror,helmet,over 16 years of age and a max speed of 30 mph.

Radar00

Apr 28, 2016
PA
All depends on where you are and how poor your county is and how much of a dick you are and how much of a dick your local LEOs want to be.

Keep it quiet, dont ride like an ass you should be fine. However some people are building things that are technically motorized pedalcycles but look more like motorcycles.

If it looks like a bicycle then fine, if it looks like a small motorcycle, get some tags to CYA

FZ1

Jul 31, 2016
Pennsylvania
From newsletter,
Senator Matt Smith: April 3, 2014

Can't believe, found this on my first search. Hope it helps:

Pedal-Assist Electric Bicycles Heads to House

This week, the Senate passed my legislation, Senate Bill 997 which legalizes pedal-assist electric bicycles in the state vehicle code.
It is time to modernize state law and expand transportation options for commuters, individuals who may have mobility issues, or for those who need assistance up the many hills in our area.
There are already a growing number of small businesses offering pedal-assist electric bicycles right here in western Pennsylvania. However, the continued growth of this industry relies on clearly defining and legalizing these bikes in the state code.
It is important to note that these are first and foremost a bicycle, not a form of motorized scooter.
Pedal-assist electric bicycles are defined as bicycles equipped with operable pedals, an electric motor 750 watts (1 horsepower) or less, weighing 100 pounds or less, and capable of a maximum speed of not more than 20 mph. The legislation also requires that the rider be at least 16 years of age.

Last edited: