Spark plug "oil fouled" -- no what?

GoldenMotor.com

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
So after my muffler broke in half (didn't know I had to strap it to the frame) I checked my week old Iridium spark plug and the color was a dark chocolately color -- so I've read this means it is oil fouled?

But I can't find anything on what to do now, am I supposed to add more gasoline to lower the amount of oil in the mix?
Do I have to buy a new spark plug (I feel like I just keep throwing money at this thing)?
There's lots of oil spilled all over my motor especially around where the exhaust connects with the engine, and the bottom of my carb is wet, not sure with what though....

What's my to-do list to fix my problem ?
(Should my engine be able to start w/o the muffler? Because It wont... but it was running just fine until it snapped in half)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If it looks a bit rich, move the needle in the carb slide up to the next groove and check it. Most of mine like one groove down from the top.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If it's chocolate brown, it's right as far as fuel to air mix goes.

If you are running 16:1 or 20:1 that's too much oil, change to 32 or 40:1.

Do not change the clip setting.

You shouldn't run it without the muffler, fix that or replace it.

The fuel on the bottom of the carb could be due to several things- not shutting off the gas when you aren't running, A dirty air filter, or even a sticking float.

Last edited:

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Err, I'm partially color-blind, so here are some pictures so I can be sure...
So i ordered a new spark plug, exhaust is on the way, now all I have to do is lower the oil/gasoline ratio and check my carb?

(did I mention that I'm in the break-in stage...? if that makes any difference)

Attachments

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Ahh thanks a bunch - will let you know how it goes

Dang shoulda went to the local shop, oh well, what's done is done, a few extra bucks isnt too bad.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Also keep in mind (you guys probably already know), that the two spark plug metal "crush" gaskets get......crushed after just one torquing. That's how they're designed. You should replace them whenever you inspect the plug. I had an oily leak around the spark plug one time .. saw one of Tom's posts talking about the crush gaskets. That was my issue.

Beansgotanewbike

Mar 25, 2013
illinois
BTW- an expensive iridium plug is a waste of money. A good B5HS NGK plug is more than adequate.
I just bought one of those 66/80 flying horse motors and started to notice it kept wanting to bog out and after about hundred ft or so it shuts out..long story short my cap somehow is off my spark plug. When you say that plug is adequate, which motor are we talking about? I went to o'reillys said they dont carry another version..just trying to get an idea