1908 Indian Torpedo Tank inspired build

GoldenMotor.com

ladders

Apr 9, 2011
MI
This is my first motorized bike build, and I am pretty happy with how it has turned out so far. It was a interesting build because the bike was cannibalized from 5 or 6 old bikes I had lying around and/or found in the trash. The first photo is of the Indian bike which mine is (roughly) based on. It is mostly a stock Dax kit besides some parts from sick bike parts (hd throttle, performance air filter, fuel filter, kill switch) and a new spark plug, wire, and boot. Its still a work in progress (what project isn't). Gas tank lettering may be soon to come. . .

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

ladders

Apr 9, 2011
MI
Hmm, A 24 hour race would be something considering how hard that leather seat is! :) but it seems to be breaking in ok. The tank is actually only the standard .5 gallon tank with a cover. I used some 6in diameter duct tubing from Lowe's capped with sturdy cardboard type material. The front is glued in, but the back is removable to access the petcock on the tank. I like the setup because it was very cheap to make (Like 3 bucks for the aluminum duct), and if I want to change it up it is very easy.

cubone

Aug 6, 2011
califronia
nice bike! Im going to Maryland this year and was thinkin bout making a bike like this to get around (hopefully alittle bigger though). I have some questions first.
1. is it comfortable? ride smooth? Im gonna ride it to class alot
2. what kind of kit? how many ccs? looks like 70! does it go over 30mph?!
3. whats the overall cost/ time put in? under $450?
4. Do you ride it on the rode, our campus won't let us go side walk
5. easy maintenance?

Thanks so much! happy riding

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
LOL

Nice bike... and yah got me!
I was gonna say you could do interstate races with that much fuel on a ht!
Good move to make a bogus cover for it!
Should be lots of fun!
Best
rc

ladders

Apr 9, 2011
MI
nice bike! Im going to Maryland this year and was thinkin bout making a bike like this to get around (hopefully alittle bigger though). I have some questions first.
1. is it comfortable? ride smooth? Im gonna ride it to class alot
2. what kind of kit? how many ccs? looks like 70! does it go over 30mph?!
3. whats the overall cost/ time put in? under $450?
4. Do you ride it on the rode, our campus won't let us go side walk
5. easy maintenance?

Thanks so much! happy riding
Hey Cubone, I built this bike with campus riding in mind too. I plan to ride it to class as much as I can.

1. It is comfortable enough, but with the drops and way back seat it really isn't configured for comfort. the ride is smooth with vibrations dampened by using rubber between the engine mounts and frame.
2. its a thatsdax kit. Some say high 60's cc, but who really know's. it tops out at 26 mph, by gps. that is stock and not broken in fully. with the iffy quality control some claim top speed varies from 25-30 mph. I also have done no polishing, porting, etc.
3. if you already have a bike in working order then $450 would be a good budget. in terms of time, that just depends on a lot of factors like skill, luck, equipment, parts etc.
4. I ride it on the road when it is safe to, obviously not in the 45 mph zone. I don't know the legality of it and never bothered to look it up, just get a headlight and taillight and you shouldn't be bothered.
5. check this link out and use the forum! , it helped me a lot
http://motorbicycling.com/f30/guide-bicycle-motor-preparation-care-354.html