Build me a Board track racer (see pic)

GoldenMotor.com

Kris Blake

Mar 7, 2011
Riverside, Ca
Over the past 2 months I've had a local builder working on a build for me. I bought many period correct trinkets for it and spent about 5,772 hours on the computer doing research to make it look as authentic as possible while still using the Morini motor. (I cant call it ugly, I promised Itchybird)
Long story short, the builder quit after mounting the Morini became too much.

I am posting a photo of the BEST LOOKING build (to my taste) and would like to know if there are any takers for the build. 150cc bridgestone.jpg
This BTR was done by Oldschoolgarage in Long Beach, Ca.
The cycle, Widowmaker, was sold a couple of weeks ago.

I want the same style (Deep drop loop, round tank and truss forks) but would like to add short fenders and a tool box.
I dont want to use the Chinese 66/70/80cc.

I bought 3 piece bars from Pat at Sportsman and they look GREAT! I also bought a Brooks B73 saddle Id like to use.

Please feel free to call me, Im in Riverside, Ca (704) 431-5050

Kris

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Ive seen it before but that Oldskoolgarage bike is absolutely beautiful....

I dont know your skillset but id advise attempting to build it yourself, there are plenty of people on here willing to help, you will save a heap of money. And at the end of the day you can say you built it

Kris Blake

Mar 7, 2011
Riverside, Ca
Good advice. My skills with welding and fabricating are about as comparable to Barack Hussein Obama and America.

Maybe I will just give it a try and outsource anything requiring skill! .trk
My biggest hang up is the engine. I want to use something that half way resembles an "old" motor. It seems like the only "easy mounts" are Chinese.
Thanks for the advice!
Kris

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thats the way, even if you cant do most things, you can still do a lot of prep work. For instance if you cant weld, you can still measure, cut and tidy up pieces and then get a welder to do the finishing touches. And then you can grind down the welds.......You will appreciate it that bit more.

And yes the Chinese kits are a lot easier then a DIY, but if it were easy everyone would do it.

There are so many things to consider motorwise...... 2 or 4 stroke? Do you want it to be legal? Budget?

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Kris,
If you want vintage accuracy use a Whizzer engine. Fills the loop real nice and has plenty of horse power potential!
Pat

cinelliphyle

Nov 30, 2009
bonney lake wash.
Kris. Nice talikng with you the other evening. I still stand ready to build a bike or two for ya. Just let me know if you decide to go for it and I will get the ball rolling on a build to suit your tatse. By the way, find me on facebook and check out my vintage motorcycle artwork. Prints are available.
Rick...

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I saw you posted comments on Cobrafreaks page but didnt want to hijack his thread. So i thought id post here..... You posted pictures of a 125 Villiers trial motor, is it going to be used in a boardtrack build. Thats a nice motor... will it fit in a bike frame because it has a gearbox doesnt it? Would love to see more pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Villiers are beautiful motors....Theres a few of us building bikes using the 98cc Villiers motors over on DIY builds. Heres mine so far....

Kris Blake

Mar 7, 2011
Riverside, Ca
$(KGrHqEOKjUE3B,zI6T8BN4b24Uwuw~~_14.JPG

$(KGrHqIOKi4E20Yf5Q1LBN4b2ZmZzg~~_14.JPG

$(KGrHqQOKnUE3ZMYLqdCBN4b3EDHb!~~_14.JPG

$(KGrHqUOKiME3FSmp6TkBN4b0k)msw~~_14.JPG I have a TON of pics. I will post a few here. I am having it deep in the loop on a 6" stretched Worksman frame. I am having the Jockey shift fab'd to fit. I know what I want, my builder knows how to do it.
I will be posting pics as soon as possible.
I have a 1927 Terrot LC 175 and your motor looks similar. What (if any) kind of exhaust is that? Looks cool

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I cant enlarge your photos for some reason, but that a nice motor. This is gonna be nice. The exhaust on mine is the standard Villiers mower exhaust. I was going to fab and exhaust but i tried this on and its a perfect fit and suits the build... so it stays and saves me some work.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I think your motor will spark a lot of interest. You did well to find one over there. As they are more usually found in England or Australia from what ive gathered. I dont suppose you know exactly what your motor came out of?

Kris Blake

Mar 7, 2011
Riverside, Ca
Harry, this picture shows the exhaust much better. That exhaust is NICE! I wouldnt change it either. It looks cool.
I wrote the moderator for Villiers website in UK after looking through all the identifying marks. My model is a 1938 9D trials motor with the option to use one or two spark plugs. the case says "37T". It was off a Famous James cycle.
The photos are already small so when they post they are really tiny, sorry.
Thanks, Kris

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Kris, welcome to the forum.

I had a few James, Francis Barnett and a DOT scrambler that were all Villiers powered when I was younger. Early 1960's. Mostly 197cc but a 98 and a 150cc as well.

They were very popular in Canada in those days and were great motors. The only problem was the electrics were prone to problems. Get spare parts if you can for the ignition system, points, condenser and the coil and a spare flywheel that has been rebuilt and remagnetized. Can't think what else there is.

Build your frame well. That motor has a fair bit of power.

Steve.