4g shaft wobble

GoldenMotor.com

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA
I'm now running a 4g gearbox to a SBP shift kit and noticed that the shaft from the 100 tooth to the 11 tooth has a bit of wobble at speed. Both the t-belt and the chain tension are fine. Is this normal due to the length of the shaft or am I going to end up with a problem?

Also, the t-belt tension as stated is currently fine, but I am out of adjustment room as it is turned to the limit of the tensioner. Is there a way to remove the tension piece and remount it to allow for more adjustment? The belt is brand new so if there is any future stretch I won't be able to adjust for it...I think the person who assembled this unit at the factory was half asleep and half drunk, I have not even addressed the clutch puck issue.

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
You have to be careful when setting belt and primary chain tension. The 100T wheel sits on an eccentric cam, which you most likely already know.

If you set primary chain tension before adjusting belt tension, you run the risk of bending that shaft you're talking about. Proper way to adjust is:

1) loosen all 4 engine base bolts
2) set belt tension with 4G belt tool or homebrew equivalent
3) set primary chain tension
4) tighten 4 engine base bolts

Every time you adjust/alter the T-belt tension, follow those steps. Always make sure belt is adjusted before the primary chain!

Your 4G output shaft being bent prolly won't cause any serious issues, but it will likely wear out the jackshaft bearing a little quicker on that side.
Expect to replace the jackshaft bearings every 1500-3500 miles anyway. They are cheap.

Last edited:

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA
Thanks Aleman, I was actually unaware of the proper steps for setting the t-belt tension. I don't recall seeing this procedure in the instructions included with the 4g... I know shocking.

This should be stickied to some sort of 4g guide page. I know Terry has a thread, but it is a bit massive and diluted.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Yeah, even if the 4G is not on a shift kit, the belt tension needs to be set before chain tension. That should be in the instructions.
Otherwise you can break a kit idler or send bracket into spokes because the chain got too tight when belt tension was set.