books on building vintage motorcycle replicas

GoldenMotor.com

flyinggators

Nov 24, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone know of a good book(s) on building a motorcycle? I plan on building a motorized bike first most likely a sportscarpat whizzer; however, I also want to build a vintage motorcycle in the near future as well and would like to get a good book to read first. I plan on either building a frame or paying to have one built to closely resemble and 1910 to 1920 harley/indian. I have never built a motorcycle and will need a little guidance and heads up on pitfalls. Only thing I have found online is a Tim Remus book. Not sure if that is any good or not.

Thanks for any advice on a good book.

oldguy387

Jul 5, 2011
Bethlehem,Pa.
As far as I know, and I have looked, there are no books on building the type of Harley/Indian you are looking at. You have to get some old pics of these bikes off the net and go from there. I am doing the same thing now. I am looking at a 1911 Indian. It is tough, but can be done, and I want mine true to the real thing. As for Harley - even they were pedal start up til 1915. good luck.

flyinggators

Nov 24, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I figured that would be the case...Really any type of book, be it for cafe racers, choppers, bobbers would be good. I just need to read up on the typical things for building a bike frame up. Does not necessarily need to be specifically for pre-war bikes...just things to look out for and pointers...

oldguy, I want to build it with the basic look of bikes from that era...with my own ideas sprinkled in and it most likely will have modern type running gear on it....might not even put pedals on it...maybe running boards...Are you going to keep a blog or such on your build....I'd like to follow your build

Last edited:

flyinggators

Nov 24, 2010
Atlanta, GA
the book(s) I want to get are for a motorcycle build, not a motored bike...after reading my own post i noticed that I was not clear on that...

although I do plan on doing both...but for the bicycle build I was definitely planning on referencing anything I needed on here...i think a custom motorcycle build will be a big undertaking...

and thanks again for the suggestions already given...