Chain Tensioner Pedal Side

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I have been fighting with chain adjustment since I Do NOT run a tensioner on the motor drive chain; I came up with this option after looking online for tensioners for the pedal side of the bike. Just did not like what I found so I decided to fab my own. I used 6061 aluminum 3/16, drilled some hole to lighten it up some and also make it look good, added the kit roller to it.

If all works well it will let me run some slack in the pedal and have full adjustment on the drive side. It’s a simple project with the right material and tools.

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I like the idea of a bolted on tensioner due to the fact that most of our members do not have welding equipment; and who wants to re-paint an area after a custom paint job or powder coat. I sure don’t!!!!
This is only a proto-type and I will be looking into other designs to look more appealing, but to tell you the truth this design is growing on me…..lol
So far this new idea is working so well I have fabricated 3 more to go on other bikes in the works.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you might need to put a "stop" tab on it or something so it doesn't rotate. something as simple as a bolt would work, so it catches under the frame.

on a freewheel there'd be no problems with your design, but a coaster brake could give you problems. a lot of torque is applied to the chain when pedaling and hard braking which could cause it to slip. and if it slipped, you'd not only have a loose chain, but it'd loosen the axle nut as well.

other than that, it's a great idea!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
you might need to put a "stop" tab on it or something so it doesn't rotate. something as simple as a bolt would work, so it catches under the frame.

on a freewheel there'd be no problems with your design, but a coaster brake could give you problems. a lot of torque is applied to the chain when pedaling and hard braking which could cause it to slip. and if it slipped, you'd not only have a loose chain, but it'd loosen the axle nut as well.

other than that, it's a great idea!
I used to custom hang my derailleurs in my peddling days [to this day] off the axle nut much the same way on a free wheeling multispeed cassette. At the time mostly because I got better performance from the chain. I was trying to wrap as much chain around the small cogs as possible. Seemed that stock arrangements did not target this as much. It was a trade off for me in that from on the fly shifting and absolute longevity with cassette gears ovaling out.

It never failed me! I peddled for years this way! Still kinda do it to this day. Its a we little trade off for semi sluggish shifting. [I split the difference] I trade more chain grab than ease of the shifter. I never had a prob ever with the axle nut holding this arrangement!.

That is a good point Bairdco with the coaster brake tho. I did not snap about that.