Can only seem to find big engines..bike ideas?

GoldenMotor.com

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
Well as if my 8 hp minibike wasn't stupid fast I've inherited 2 more snow blower motors. An 8 hp Tecumseh which only needed an o ring on the emulsification tube and a couple squirts of carb cleaner. The other is an 8 Briggs. That one runs good, it wore out the snowblower!!! Well both engines tall and bigger than what I need but it's what I got. Any ideas on bike frames that would fit one of these monsters. Going to run a CVT to jackshaft. Already have a c30 1 inch clutch from a go cart. This bike might be abit stupid but that's what makes it fun. Also have a disk brake from that go cart i was thinking about mounting on the jack shaft. Bike frame ideas???dnut

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
You could add a additional section of cylinder reducing the compression ratio and therefor less horsepower, you would be set then.

OK, just kidding!

Wondered if you do welding? There is a section of threads dedicated to chop....

Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Painting - The Chop Shop Custom fabrication and projects, tanks, frames and more.

http://motorbicycling.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

There are also some that put motorcycle engines on bicycles have have them look like the first Harley's. Others have interesting frames that are of themselves a one of a kind.

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=83916&d=1476899381

http://motorbicycling.com/album.php?albumid=1829&pictureid=10874

The drop loop or what ever they call it for fitting engine is a method for frame modification.

I've adjusted drop out slightly by cut and welding, but not the above. I wouold have but had only started welding when I was fitted the engine. Some put on a slant, but oil lubrication in crankcase must be considered if it can be done. I admit putting the engine on the platform I made for the engine has it contort to fit. Then the short spark plug has to have the screw top come off or the plug taken out and reinstalled after bolting down the engine.

MT

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=69635&d=1398150787 Mud holds it together!

Last edited:

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
I have a 120 v Lincoln electric flux core(haven't got a gas kit yet). And a big arc and mig at work. The problem there is i have to find a steel bike frame or i cant do it. Oh what I'd give for a tig. I gotta spool gun on the mig but I hate aluminium!!!

Now are bike frames made of steel made of pretty normal gauges that I can buy from a normal metal supply? Heck I got a bunch of 3/4 tubing 14 gauge next to my house right now left over from another project.

Now I found a Columbia cruiser near my house for $50. Is there any info around that could show the frame material? The bike looks 1960's. I think it be steel right?

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I'd guess you mean specific type of steel if that is what it is. Using a magnet if it sticks tells you it is not aluminum alloy and would be steel. I found a picture on the internet of my bike frame I found rusted by the junk. You might see it as a JC Penny Foremost of the 60's era I think.

http://oldroads.com/arch/pic1_1120.html

Do a search on old road for your bike.

Last edited:

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
Now am I going about this backwards maybe? I've built motor bikes before and I always started with the bike. Now picking the bike around the motor could be kinda interesting. What would you guys look for in a frame? I already have to shoehorn a monster into it. Going to run a c30 CVT with built in jackshaft. I'm wondering if I should run a frame mounted jackshaft to lessen the jerkiness on the CVT drive bracket that is only bolted to the APU mount on the engine. Kind was thinking about using a belt for this connection because it will operate smoother.

Anyway I want your opinions on frame selection. I don't want to be about done and find out the headset will not accept a fork that is ready for a disc brake. (Planning on).

Now the rear hub....id like to mount a gear to the hub not the spokes like the China kit. I think i remember sbp making a hub but I was kinda wondering if a hub set up for disc brakes may work? Hmm maybe I'll cross that bridge when i come to it. Anyways pour that knowledge on me, and wise arse comments too!!! Good entertainment.

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
I thought about a trike. Think there is one on Craigslist for 150 or so around here, but wouldn't that be kinda like building a go cart that doesn't handle? They seem like they would kinda suck at speed.

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
I'd guess you mean specific type of steel if that is what it is. Using a magnet if it sticks tells you it is not aluminum alloy and would be steel. I found a picture on the internet of my bike frame I found rusted by the junk. You might see it as a JC Penny Foremost of the 60's era I think.

http://oldroads.com/arch/pic1_1120.html

Do a search on old road for your bike.

I would need a tig welder for cromoly. Not sure if the 75/25 mix gas i have would work either, doubt it would. Now I think cromoly was a high end frame material during the 1970's so a earlier bike would be heavy but mild steel. I may be wrong about this, i was born in 77 so I don't remember too much from that time. Do know the amc pacer may be the ugliest car ever made. The Ford maverick was nothing to brag about either!!lol

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
We had Austin's Vanden Plas Allegro for an ugly competitor, but we beat America hands down with the range of shades of turd you could buy them in.

Trikes, you either love or hate them. You adapt to the behaviour of them, and they are useful for towing/carrying things. Just don't forget you can't get through the gaps as easily ;)

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
Didnt Ashton have a Legondo or something like that In the 70's. Kinda looked like a delorian and a Toyota mr2 had deformed baby? Here is one for you. Check out an amc matador. My buddy still has one of these winners on the road!!!

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
Ok had an idea for my CVT. I was thinking of using a steel plate from the motor''s pto mount and attaching it to the seat post part of the frame. I would have to extend the legth of my CVT belt, but the jackshaft would then be solid mount to the frame and the pto mount would be helping to secure my motor. Was kinda thinking I may be able to attach the plate to the forward drop tube as well and I could call that my lower motor mount. Now it is a giant 8 hp Briggs so I will have to make an upper mount too.

Now I've been entertaining this idea for a couple hours now. I looked around a bit for a chart to help me figure out what belt to use but couldn't find one just a bunch of guys saying send in the measurements and I can buy one which maybe what I do since I have to find it in an asymmetrical to fit my setup anyways. Maybe I'll talk to my gates rep and let him figure it out.

Buying my frame tomorrow!!!!$75 Schwinn cruiser from the 60's in gorgeous shape. Has a huge amount of space in the frame, the forward drop tube is way up near the front wheel... getting excited!!!!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Check with the auto parts stores on return policy. I actually have in the past kept belts clean and returned 4 of 5 I was checking for size.

A specialty business for machinery was not happy at all about any returns, but the Oriely's Auto Parts was easy to return.

One store allowed me to take my bike back to the parts shelf behind the counter and try them in the store, but that is probably a first and a last.

I'm not sure if your going to have all belt drive, but just know with the belt in wet weather it can tend to slip. I don't much ride in the rain, but for exclusive off road legal riding I cross a few steams and it takes a while to get it to dry if splash is big enough.

Rim brakes are also not good immediately after going through a stream, so better are higher up disc or completely sealed drum on one or both wheels.

When you get things assembling like to see pictures!

Last edited:

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
I've been looking at that one fora bit. Can't figure out where the tube is going from the valve cover. I was kinda wondering if it oils ok at that angle, i see it hadn't been rode recently( flat tire ). Im going to be using a different clutch and drive pulley set up because I already have it on a wrecked go cart. I was also thinking about using an air cleaner. Going to have to find one that fits since snow blowers don't have one. I was thinking I'd leave to governor gear in the crankcase to help splash oil but I don't know if I need a different scoop on the rod cap with such an extreme angle of the motor. Has anyone done this with the governor or does everyone remove it?