using what ya got,friction drive

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Well, I got lil H142 sitting driving nothing. Been trying to come up with an in frame FD without spending$. Came up with idea after idea, then this hit. I needed a wide roller to align with engine w/o a Js. So far this seems good. The freewheel slips on snug to the headtube. Give it a couple tack welds. Figure a way of mounting with hinge. Could be wrong, but I'm thinking I can lift the roller just enough to clear tire, even though its chain driven. Put a stop so I don't over lift..?? Like 'five alive' said, "need input"...

Attachments

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Before you go charging off, I have been given some information which may be relevant to you.

A Scottish FD owner has a Terrot Lutin, which uses FD. This runs a Peugeot 2 stroke unit with a chain or belt drive casing and 3:1 reduction, to allow the use of a large diameter roller, which is much less likely to slip if it rains or you find a wet road.

This is the sort of thing

Your general arrangement has history, this is a SICAM, ancestor of Mobylettes

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
I've heard "there is nothing new under the sun" those are kool. The bottom one looks like the guy got a bike, an engine and umm... I can do this instead of that. I'm on that one way track now. Thank you

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Question, to FD calculators ..what will be the speed of this set up, 16t to 16t to 1 1/2 roller? The mt clutch bell had wobble is why its being sacrificed.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Ok, thanks. Not sure if I'm gonna continue with this. W/o a Js, engine has to be offset too much for my like'n.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Have you looked at Cannonball2's 90 degree turn belt drive? The engine sits lengthways and still drives a roller on the back tyre.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Hey L2, got schooled by WayneZ and his 'in frame pred. FD. I'm only using my phone for my stuff, and it limits my search to one page, I'm sure when I searched for in frame FD, his was in there. I now remember visiting that post before...maybe my inspiration. Sooo, bigger roller. Do you know if epoxied tire will stay stay on the metal roller. Cannonball2's threads on FD is what got me going in this. Of course I'll continue, when I'm stymied, just come here and ask, search and receive your answers! Thxxx

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I have no experience of FD and materials. I think a grit epoxied to a rigid roller will stay in place better than matching a flexible surface to a rigid one, but that's without any hands on knowledge.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Yeah L2, my experience with e poxy is with holdin parts together That don't move! Excellent stuff for that use. I'll grid off the inside of the tire, rather, scuff it up, and try it...ill be using epoxy for doin copper pipes. Here's my hinge plate, so I can put a thumb screw as Wayne z did. Oh yeah, I have relocate my brake. The frame is 26". I have a set of 24 wheels, not being used sooo, I also like to stop and have both feet on the ground. I'll make a new bracket and bolt it together with the kick stand bolt.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Didn't have the e poxy I wanted, soo, jb weld. We'll soon find if it works. The hinged plate welded in place with head tube roller. Butt... I forgot to grease the bearings. Now I'll have to cut the left side holder in half, which was what I intended....but forgot. Then I'll plate bolt it back together. So I can remove the roller.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Wellll, I put another layer of tire around the roller, much better, just one of those putt around bikes. The idea worked.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Marine caulking I used once is not very flexible, just slightly flexible, but it is solid and had to be cut away with a knife and chisel. When attached to wood and I tried to remove it, it split soft redwood. It is resistant to oil and gasoline etc. Just a thought.

I like how it is starting out! I've never built friction drive, but have interest in seeing it done.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
At the swap meet today and found this for 2$...3" solid rubber 1/2" hole...maybe press 5/8 Js though it. Shape it to contour of the tire.. What an outlet for the creative genius in each of us here. When I first signed on I thought, "why do these guys have so many builds...... now I know...lol...ive got 2 run- about, totally fun. One in pieces crying "what about me"..one on the table being created..and now I find this drive roller...its madness I tell ya..lol

Attachments

Last edited: