Felt Like A Good Time To Swap Engines

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Here's my latest incarnation. I swapped the Subaru Robin EH035 engine for the Lifan 97cc 2.5 HP engine on my downhill MTB. It runs out strong & has more power everywhere. Too bad its over the cc & hp limit of State MB laws.
As long as I keep it under 30 & pedal along in high gear, I might fly under the radar?
Anybody know of a good looking readily available 49cc replacement sticker?
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Really like your work LR!

The sticker thing, could just make your own. MS paint or one of my favorites; Custom stickers, Personalized stickers, Photo Sticker, Cheap sticker printing Copy image and/or email it to your self. Uber easy and can get real creative. Can print on label or even just paper and glue. Shot of clear coat and looks pro. "Low Racer 50cc" (cc for custom cruiser)

Just a thought. I posted a bunch some where here. Will look and your welcome to any of those. I think one..

found some; LOL, in your thread. Guess ya didn't like em. Post 20 http://motorbicycling.com/f42/shes-alive-25429-2.html

Were we drinking? snork

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Dan,
I was kinda looking for a pre-made OEM sticker that comes on a brand new engines. Something like a Honda QXA 50cc or another brand?
This bike bridges the gap in rideability between a MB and a small motorcycle.
I pedal just a bit to get it rolling as I feather the throttle to avoid any undue stress on the fork sliders, then roll on the gas. Once underway, this torquey little engine pulls hard & revs out nice to approx 45 mph, which is plenty fast on a MB
-lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
doc,
Build it up & post lot of pics with how you built it on the forum.
Home depot online & eBay sells the Lifan engines for around $100 without a clutch.
Cheers,
-Low-

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Great! Finally coming back around from where you started with a good engine. Ive got a 49cc decal I had made just for the Lifan recoil. PM me and I send you my last spare. I completed nearly 8k miles on my Lifan bike and never had a second look from the locals. It looked like a bike with a motor instead of a lightweight motorcycle like some of my other builds. You should be fine once you install the "49cc" decal. Be sure to remove that engine family decal from that shroud the proudly states its 97cc.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
If it was me I would have left the Sube on. For one thing the un-sprung weight increase has to be a factor, and I'm guessing the time you get caught by the Popo doing 45 with this thing on the flat is the day you rue this install.

I hate to be a killjoy, but, just saying...

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Citisporter,
The engines that have been on 'The Beast' over the years has varied.
Here is a list of engines I've installed:
Robin Subaru 35cc
Lifan 97cc
CAG 51cc Pocket Bike stage 2
Tanaka PF3300 32cc
Tanaka PF4000 40cc
Mitsubishi TU43 43cc
Tanaka TC-47 47cc
Tanaka 47R 47cc
From my experiences it's similar to the Goldilocks story.
The 35cc Robin-Subaru was Baby Bear and just a bit too underpowered, The 97cc Lifan was Papa Bear and had plenty of power but a bit too heavy, The Tanaka 47R is Mama Bear & just right...especially hooked up to a shift kit w/expansion chamber & straight pipe header.
-Low-