Motor security for 4 stroke

GoldenMotor.com

Greenbiker

Feb 12, 2016
Oklahoma
I know the motors arent that expensive, but a pain in the ass is a pain in the ass and who wants their motor stolen?
I have the bike locking thing down, but inwas thinking about someone unbolting the motor from the mounting plate or just unbolting the plate, and off comes the motor. I will be using a jack shaft as well which makes it a slight bit more of a pain for them but still a cake walk if they have time and no one around, which i might find myself having to do with my bike sometime.
As for the mointing plate itself, im working on that still, there is the posibility of locking it on in addition to the bolts, but for the motor on the plate, this is what im thinking about:
Drilling or otherwise put a hole in the bottom of the mount plate of the appropriate size, im thinking in the middle, but that will depend on the motor. The hole is for a standard high security hasp for gates. Hardened steel on a swivel.
On the bottom side of the mount, a piece of plate steel just as think or slightly thicker than the bolt heads with holes drilled in the right pattern for the bolt heads holding the motor in place, but the holes have to be close , just more than the diameter of the bolt heads to prevent tools from getting in there. Alternatively if you really wanted to get jiggy with it, you could choose plate metal a little thicker than the bolt heads, then either drill or mill recesses into it for the heads, completelt enclosing them. Then, you would drill holes in the plate and matching ones in the mount so you could bolt the plate to the mount. There would be of course a hole in the plate for the hasp to go through. If you want to get fancy, you can mill a slight recess around the hole that is the size of the puck lock that will go over the hasp. The swiveling hasp is to protect against torsion attacks, the recess is to give the puck somewhere to sink into to help protect against prying attacks or chisel attacks agaisnt the lock and hasp, if you cant mill, you could mark the outer diamter of the lock on the plate, then build up a weld bead or just weld some scrap pieces in place aroud the lock to achieve the same end. Even if someone removes the bolts holding the security plate on, the lock still holds it in placeand its secure. You wouldnt want to opperate it that way cause ofnthe vibration and such, but they have to break the lock or pick it to get it off the mount or cut the bike apart. Picking would be really adverse in that position. If you wanted you could put a collar with a hole in it for the keyway to make picking really hard and torsion all but impossible.
Stilk trying to figure out how to secure the plate to the bike. Any ideas?
I know it seems like a lot of trouble, but there are some crazy people out there that like stealing things to pawn or scrap.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
If it was me I would be more concerned with securing my bike then my motor. I just do not see a thief going to the trouble of removing the motor when he /she can just steal the bike.

But yes, their is a lot of locos out there so you never know.

One thing you could also do is stamp or engrave your bikes serial number on the motor somewhere. Maybe a name and number, won't prevent someone from stealing it. But hopefully a good pawn shop, and or a honest person may question the person trying to sell it and with luck you might get it back.

Greenbiker

Feb 12, 2016
Oklahoma
I will have the bike well locked up. It will be safe against everything up to grinders or hydraulic cutters or torches or other unlikely methods to use in public, i will make it a real pain for them to take the bike. Im probably just over doing it, but meth heads are abundant here and they are dedicated some people just like to steal and a challenge makes it better. Ive been watching a lot of videos on YouTube about bike theft and its really just being smart and making it more risky and time consuming than they are willing to bear. I will post my security kit as it develops. One thing i figured out is that the trackers are a bit passe because for less than 100 up front and for less than 150 a year, you can mount a cheap prepaid tracphone on the bike where it is not obvious what it is, and hard to remove, and you have a probably more reliable tracker with a wheres my phone app. Theres also a pretty sturdy battery powered u lock with an alarm and a pager made by Bully that looks like it would be useful. Options, i has them.

Greenbiker

Feb 12, 2016
Oklahoma
Will use the blue for sure. That will slow them down at least. I dont want to make it so much of a pain in the ass for myself though. May look into unusual fasteners that will bung up their day. The metal plat might be a little heavy. Might look to see if i can get some polycarbonate sheet and use that. It isnt as strong as the steel, but it should be enough. Does anyone have a picture of the bottom of the 4 stroke motor? I want to see what im dealing with so i can figure out how to attach a hasp to it. Thanks.