Can't get the wobble out.

GoldenMotor.com

texfromkansas

May 7, 2015
Kansas
Howdy,

What is a good way to center the rear wheel? I get it put on but the wobble is so bad the chain will not stay on. The sprocket and wheel have the same amount of wobble and the rag joint sprocket is flush with the hub. As much as I tried to get the wobble out, i just can't get it. Is there an easier way then what i'm doing? The frame and wheel are not bent by the way.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Huh.

I'd take both chains off and try mounting the wheel normally. Use the chain-stays as a gauge to mount the wheel straight with the frame. This should work with the chains on as well, but that doesn't seem to be working for you. Doing it without the chains will eliminate possible tensions that may be pulling your wheel out of alignment.

Also, double check the things that you mentioned; sprocket, hub, rag joint alignment- wheel being true- frame straight. Those would usually be the go to solutions for the problem that you're having.

Keep us informed, somebody here will get you squared away.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Is the wobble in the rim, or the sprocket? If the rim isn't true (spoke tension) then it will wobble. If the sprocket is wobbling you could have a warped sprocket, uneven thickness of the rag joint rubbers or uneven tightening of the sprocket fasteners.

Like Trey said, mount the rim in the frame with both pedal and engine drive chain removed and suspend the wheel off the floor. Spin it. Does the rim wobble?
If you're not familiar with how to true a rim there are lots of on-line tutorials but your local bike shop will also do it, for a fee.

Tom

texfromkansas

May 7, 2015
Kansas
I was told that I might need to take the rear sprocket off and turn it around. I'm not sure why I would need to do this. It is on the correct way.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Should be hopefully sorted out now. I remember when I first put my sprocket on a cruiser rim and it didn't fit over the dust cap, or whatever, and it would wobble me and make the bike impossible to ride. Had to grind out the center of it and then it was sourth sailing