55MPH Cruiser Engine?

GoldenMotor.com
May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
Hey everybody! So...I'm in the dreaming stage of a build right now, and want some of your suggestions.

Basically my goal is to build a bike that can cruise at 55 MPH reliably. I know it'd be cheaper and easier to buy a motorcycle, but I don't WANT a motorcycle! lol I know a bike was never designed to go that fast, so I'll need to do a LOT of modifications, but I'm fine with that. I also know I'll have to register it as a motorcycle, and that's fine.

So here's my first question: What engine? I'm definitely gonna go with a 4 stroke for reliability, but which one would y'all recommend? I'm currently thinking either a Predator 212cc or a Whizzer. I like the looks of the Whizzer better, but it may be a little more difficult to get that speed out of it and I'm also not crazy about a belt drive necessarily (though I don't know a whole lot about it honestly). Are there any other 4 stroke motors in the 150-200cc range that would work well?

My next question is if I do go with a predator, should I use a Q-Matic or is there a shift kit available? (I'd REALLY like to find a shift kit that doesn't use a bike chain, cause I wouldn't trust a bike chain at 55 or more).

Just so you know I'm planning on using a Micargi Royal frame (but DEFINITELY not those handlebars).

So...any suggestions/thoughts/warnings? ;)

Thanks!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think this is a bad idea. Unless you have a lot of skill in fabrication, technical know-how and deep pockets don't even think about this. To be successful and live you have to build a motorcycle with the best components you can find, yet you don't want a motorcycle. Lower your speed expectations to around forty (which is still crazy fast) and you have something more doable. 30 mph on a motored bicycle can feel plenty fast.
SB

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
First off go to your local moped dealer and take a 150cc one out for a test drive. Those things will do 65 easily so give it a shot. Then decide what you REALLY want from a bike that doesn't have rear suspension, adequate frame or other parts. A micargi royal is a BAD IDEA because it is a junky frame that MIGHT be strong enough IF you modify it correctly. I'm not talking the prettiness of the welds or thickness of the tubing, I'm talking about workmanship and the fact that frames from that mfg have cracked- weld penetration etc.

Follow scottos builds and use a felt slant frame. Quality american frame.

But seriously take a moped out for 55mph. I did it once in shorts and flip flops and it was awesome, but that bike have front and rear suspension, good brakes, etc.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Not exactly the best idea, but not totally impossible either...
You'll need some really good wheels like from a downhill bike or lacing in small motorcycle hubs to your 26" rims etc..
The frame would need to be stripped and EVERY weld checked out, gussets added to the head tube area, the bottom bracket, and rear triangle as well as re welding any weak looking connections.
The front end would have to come off a down hill bike or a small motorcycle or moped as I wouldn't trust a regular bicycle type fork at those speeds.
There are tires available that can go that fast, but be ready to open up your wallet...

For the engine, a Pred 212 would get you there or you could go 2 stroke and use a DiNardis engine or the like. Other good 2 smokers that'll get you there are Morini, KTM, Cobra Racing, and their clones... These engines range from 50 to 65cc and put out between 10 and 15hp in stock trim give or take a pony or 3 each way.

If I was going to build a bicycle that could cruise at 55mph I'd go with the liquid cooled 65cc DiNardis engine since it has the power and torque to cruise at 55 or so, it's compact and lightweight, and it's reliable. Top speed with an engine like this would be in the 75 to 80mph range depending on gearing so it could cruise at the desired speed but have a little head room for passing or getting out of harm's way etc.

If you are set on 4 stroke engines, people have successfully grafted the Honda horizontal cylinder clones into bicycles with a lot of fab work to make them fit and these engines range in size from 50cc up to about 150cc and they have 4 speed semi automatic transmissions or either a 4 or 5 speed manual transmission. You would want something in the 110 to 150cc range to cruise at these speeds. The 70 or 90cc size would max out at around 50 to 55mph. The Lifan brand engines seem to be the best choice for quality and reliability here.

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
Thanks everybody! To answer a couple things...I know if it isn't done right, it's extremely dangerous. But I'm planning on being sure it's done right.

My main reason for that frame is the looks. Most cruiser frames look too smushed for my taste (I'm not big on crazy stretched frames, but I think the royal hits it just right). I saw on here someone else strapped a 212 to a royal frame, so I know they can take it, but you're right, I'd definitely strip it down, double check welds, and add some reinforcement.

My reason for not getting a moped is the same for not getting a motorcycle...I want something I built and I love how lightweight and simple a bicycle is. But when I get closer to actually building this thing, I'll definitely go ride a moped or two to see what it feels like :)

I really like those Denardis engines...thanks for the tip! I think the 60cc water cooled would be the way to go. (It's funny that they sell a motorized bike kit on the same page as the 60cc engine ;) ). That's a one speed engine that's got an internal reduction like a china girl has, right?

I'm thinking about pulling the front fork off of a dirt bike or something similar...I'd wait till after I got the frame to decide what to pull it off of exactly (to make sure I got something that fit and looked right).

I'm planning on having front and rear disc brakes and very high quality tires. I'm unsure how I'm gonna do lights and turn signals at this point...I'm not sure if I could run some kind of alternator off the engine or not. Do y'all know?

I'm expecting to spend somewhere between 2,500 and 3,000 on this (which is why it's still in the dreaming stage...I gotta save up), but I'm gonna do it right, make it safe, and keep it the rest of my life.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
As long as you build it safely it'll be safe to ride at high speeds... check out Culvercityclassic's builds in here, he's built some really nice ones that are more than capable of the speeds you're looking for and they're definitely built for the task at hand. If you can get some pointers from him on frame construction and modifications as well as how to mount the engine and build the wheels it could help you along immensely with a project like this.
Check out this thread... this may give you an idea of the work involved in making a really fast bicycle.... http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=55783

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
If you truly intend to ride regulary at that speed, I would advise against ANY frame designed for a bicycle. For safety, road bike engineers design for stresses 10x the loaded weight of the vehicle. That's in the ballpark of 3000 lbs of stress. Sure, you won't see that going around the block but when a huge, unexpected, unavoidable pot hole comes at you at 60 mph, its a bad time to find out your frame or wheels aren't up to spec .

That said, yes it can be done. I've done it. You're going to need a 150cc motorcycle engine. A 212cc predator won't cut it, it has more displacement but less than half the horsepower. You're going to need a well equipped shop, and a budget of at least $3000.

If everything goes right you may end up with a machine that can safely cruise at 60 mph, but reliable? Best carry a bag with plenty of tools and spare nuts. ;) You'll have a unique, one-of-a kind bike that you can be proud of, but think about the nice used motorcycle you can get with that money.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
There is a lot of expense involved in making a bicycle, (designed to go 20mph), cruise and stop safely from 55mph. The engine is just a part of it.
Go build a 55mph bicycle if that is what you want to do. However, they sell naked Chinese scooters on the internet these days that are cheap and much easier to maintain and mod than a full body scooter. The Chinese scoots are also safe and legal at 55mph.

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
Do any of you know of any scooters that look more like a bicycle than a motorcycle (and NOT a dirt bike)? I'm not set on building a bicycle, it's just that it's the only thing I've found that really looks good ("good" to me is bare-bones simple. Like an early 1910-1920s board track racer or the like. Some cafe racers, and some street trackers look good.)

So if anyone has any 150-200cc scooter recommendations that look more like a bicycle than a motorcycle, let me know!

EDIT: Here's an example of what I would consider to be GORGEOUS!! (Although a touch too futuristic looking...) http://www.unfinishedman.com/yamaha-y125-moegi-concept/

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Sportmanflyer.com

$3500 professional quality board track style motorbike. Even if you only spend $2000 in parts on your build, the extra 1500 is totally worth it for all the work and internet research you don't need to do. My own bike cost almost 1500 to build including free machine shop and weld work, but had there been a builder I would have gladly paid 2000-2500 for a pro to build it.

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
The problem with all of those is either they look like a scooter, a dirt bike, or a crotch rocket (and I don't like the styling of any of those three things). That's why I want to build a bike, is cause it LOOKS so good :)

Also, I like Sportsman Flyer's stuff, but it's so expensive, and I'm not really looking for a board track racer (they're cool...and they're simple the way I like, but they're not very comfortable to ride).

Last edited:

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
So you want this done cheaply? Not trying to be mean here but this is going to be extensive to do reliably.you basically have to upgrade literally everything on the bike. My bike will go almost fifty, but I doubt I have anything less than $1,500 in it. And that's what's on the bike not including repairs and trial and error.

Last edited:

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I can do it for the money you're talking.
Exactly what I was thinking.... But realistically I'd make a bike that can go say 40mph then work your way up to whatever speeds you want to go. What I enjoy personally about this is there is so many things you can do to get where you want. Heck a 212CC predator with a cam, some more compression, and a big carb can get ya where ya wanna be with the right gearing...

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
That's one way for sure. Not many bikes will take that like the cb honda did though. Brings back memories,my first motorcycle was a cb100 I traded a Batavus moped for. Really liked that honda.