what mods wil make your engine go higher rpm's

GoldenMotor.com

kyle5647

Sep 2, 2013
marietta
i have a 66cc grubee 2012 engine and was wondering what mods will make it go higher rpm's? like 11,000 rpm is what i would like it to go.

i have might have a few ideas that might make it do that

1. ported cylinders. does this help it reach higher rpm's or run better/stronger
2. bigger carb, im looking at a mikuni vm-18 carb
3. expansion chamber, what does it mean when they say its "tuned"

am i on the right track here, missing anything??

thanks in advanced! :D

dnut

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
i have a 66cc grubee 2012 engine and was wondering what mods will make it go higher rpm's? like 11,000 rpm

1. ported cylinders. does this help it reach higher rpm's or run better/stronger
Look at what Arrow Motorized Cycles does to their SkyHawk based race motor.
They make the fastest 2 stroke bicycle kit motor on the planet.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Without lots of mods and a well balanced lower assembly I dont know that 11, 000 rpm is possible, that is twisting a chine girl pretty dang tight, im not sure what kinda revs im doing on my 40+mph bike but I know its no where near 11, 000 rpm, I have a tach for it but I dont have it hooked up yet, hen I do thn ill know for sure but im guessing maybe around 8k is where mine is at wot.

Map

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Arrows top racing engine maxs out 9,500rpms and produces 9.5 hp so if you want 11,000rpm or close to it, you have two choices the way I see it , get a LARGE mortgage and buy your own machine shop and build one , or buy a Arrow engine. LMAO.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
i have a 66cc grubee 2012 engine and was wondering what mods will make it go higher rpm's? like 11,000 rpm is what i would like it to go.

i have might have a few ideas that might make it do that

3. expansion chamber, what does it mean when they say its "tuned"

am i on the right track here, missing anything??

thanks in advanced! :D

dnut
11,000 rpm with a china girl? Good luck with that. You might try dynamite. Above 8500 is risky.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I couldn't take all the tingling in my hands and arms ---- the amount that my semi-stock Skyhawk produces is plenty already!

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
most of my engines redline at 9000. ive got one that had a 9250 tach reading from a drag race between L.A's 2 fastest street racers. If you port it and balance it , and add everything including the kitchen sink, expect 8000. they pull really good between 6500-8000 . 11,000 rpm's? good thing your handle has "newbie" next to it ;)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
For me its not about how many revs I can get out of the engine its how much power the engine produces at a particular rpm, I just like mine to pull up to cruising speed nice and smooth and then maintain that speed well on the flat and on the slight inclines along with having enough grunt to take me up and over the longer hills without help from me or very little if need be at the top, I have seen 45mph on one of my bikes electronic speed o's I'm not sure if that is completely correct,it will cruise on the flat with a steady 42mph reading, and it is wound up pretty good, but not crazy sounding as if it seems it's gonna blow or anything, it's the Dax lower that is actually pretty smooth, there are vibes but nothing uncomfortable like any of the other engines I have had and it is my fastest engine pulling a 34T sprocket, when I get my tach on it I'll know what my rpms are but they don't seem to bad.

Smooth steady power at medium to cruising speed is what I shoot for and 11,000 RPM's form a China Girl is probably just not gonna happen and if it did, it probably wouldn't do it for long and then you might be picking big hunks of china-luminum out of your body.

read read read, here on the forum and get educated on what these little engine are most common for doing, build a solid and safe motorized bike, follow some detailed direction on how to do some simple mods if you have the tools and completely understand what you are doing, as you walk through the china girl engine adventure you will learn many things and you can make changes and experiment as you go until you end up with something you're happy with and can enjoy, just remember we are dealing with bicycles here, they ain't motorcycles, and all though some of the great minds here on the forum have made some very fast bikes, a good solid build that is safe and as reliable as possible is what is normally best for the majority of us.

Best wishes on what ever you do and a whole pile of us here are always willing to help point you in the right direction the best we can as you go along.

Map
.wee.

Last edited:

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
Ports - Your port heights determine your power band for the most part. The higher the port, the higher the power band. If you take the head off your motor, and push the piston down to BDC with your finger, you'll notice the transfer ports and part of the exhaust port is still covered. If you have any, use a spare cylinder base gasket to raise it a bit. This will give you a higher power band AND allow your motor to breathe better, provided your piston isn't blocking your intake. Your exhaust and transfer timing will get longer (pushing your power band up), but unless you have reed valves, your intake timing will get shorter (lowering your power). Get some reeds, and reed port, and try this instead of dremeling your cylinder.

Pipe - This can override your porting job, if you have one, make sure its tuned to the same RPM as your pipe for maximum power. You have no idea what RPM a pipe is tuned for with these motors because the specs arent listed. Building your own costs significantly less (about $25 if you can find sheet metal and pipe) and you can tune it exactly how you want (broad power band, but low boost, or a short power band but lots of boost [most of the pipes you find will be this second one])

Carb & intake manifold - To go that fast you'll need to be able to breathe easily. A larger carb and larger intake will allow the motor to suck all the air it needs. 21mm piston port should net you close to or beyond 11k RPM, but will require a larger intake manifold to match. A 21mm carb should be matched with a 21mm I.D. (25mm O.D.) manifold. A 1" copper pipe should meet these specs. Avoid sharp bends, 7 degrees at most unless its a smooth curve, any bigger angles and you'll cause eddies to form and cause drag in your intake (which is part of why these motors have trouble breathing, the stock intake has an angle of 30-40 degrees, way way waaayyy too much).

Balance - Cannot stress this enough: These motors can shake themselves apart at 8000 RPM, if you're aiming for 11k, you'll want to balance. I've done this through piston weight reduction, however you can also drill your crank, as theres only so much of the piston you can remove before you comprimise its strength, or start to need reed valves. I do have reeds, and after I get my titanium wrist pin, and perhaps a bushing (because the reeds allow lots of lubrication, which bushings need), my piston should weigh around 86 grams, a whopping 24 grams less than an unmodified piston. This combined with a jag CDI, my bike runs smooooooth. Problem is the jag CDI isn't designed to go to 11k RPM, it'll retard way, way too much. So you'll need a new CDI as well (the stock one will destroy your bearings in no time at those speeds too so dont even try that).

Last edited:

kyle5647

Sep 2, 2013
marietta
Ports - Your port heights determine your power band for the most part. The higher the port, the higher the power band. If you take the head off your motor, and push the piston down to BDC with your finger, you'll notice the transfer ports and part of the exhaust port is still covered. If you have any, use a spare cylinder base gasket to raise it a bit. This will give you a higher power band AND allow your motor to breathe better, provided your piston isn't blocking your intake. Your exhaust and transfer timing will get longer (pushing your power band up), but unless you have reed valves, your intake timing will get shorter (lowering your power). Get some reeds, and reed port, and try this instead of dremeling your cylinder.

Pipe - This can override your porting job, if you have one, make sure its tuned to the same RPM as your pipe for maximum power. You have no idea what RPM a pipe is tuned for with these motors because the specs arent listed. Building your own costs significantly less (about $25 if you can find sheet metal and pipe) and you can tune it exactly how you want (broad power band, but low boost, or a short power band but lots of boost [most of the pipes you find will be this second one])

Carb & intake manifold - To go that fast you'll need to be able to breathe easily. A larger carb and larger intake will allow the motor to suck all the air it needs. 21mm piston port should net you close to or beyond 11k RPM, but will require a larger intake manifold to match. A 21mm carb should be matched with a 21mm I.D. (25mm O.D.) manifold. A 1" copper pipe should meet these specs. Avoid sharp bends, 7 degrees at most unless its a smooth curve, any bigger angles and you'll cause eddies to form and cause drag in your intake (which is part of why these motors have trouble breathing, the stock intake has an angle of 30-40 degrees, way way waaayyy too much).

Balance - Cannot stress this enough: These motors can shake themselves apart at 8000 RPM, if you're aiming for 11k, you'll want to balance. I've done this through piston weight reduction, however you can also drill your crank, as theres only so much of the piston you can remove before you comprimise its strength, or start to need reed valves. I do have reeds, and after I get my titanium wrist pin, and perhaps a bushing (because the reeds allow lots of lubrication, which bushings need), my piston should weigh around 86 grams, a whopping 24 grams less than an unmodified piston. This combined with a jag CDI, my bike runs smooooooth. Problem is the jag CDI isn't designed to go to 11k RPM, it'll retard way, way too much. So you'll need a new CDI as well (the stock one will destroy your bearings in no time at those speeds too so dont even try that).

so for the cylinder ports, power band stuff, putting a thicker base head gasket will increase that??

also for the piston i assume when you say a light weight piston you mean a cut-on...at least thats all ive found for what your talking about.

for the carb, i was looking at a mikuni vm-18 which is 18mm, they said not to go over that because it will cause your engine to bog,

and for all you people that say 11,000rpm is impossible, i got interested in these bikes cause my friend completely jacked his bike up with all the performance possible and his can go 13,000rpm, he got his from motovelo the screamer mashine or whatever its called

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
so for the cylinder ports, power band stuff, putting a thicker base head gasket will increase that??

also for the piston i assume when you say a light weight piston you mean a cut-on...at least thats all ive found for what your talking about.

for the carb, i was looking at a mikuni vm-18 which is 18mm, they said not to go over that because it will cause your engine to bog,

and for all you people that say 11,000rpm is impossible, i got interested in these bikes cause my friend completely jacked his bike up with all the performance possible and his can go 13,000rpm, he got his from motovelo the screamer mashine or whatever its called
tbh it sounds like it's not an HT, However IIRC Scotto managed 10.5k, which is really close. It is possible, but it's ridiculously difficult on these little motors, and they dont last long. It requires balance, a little luck, and some good tuning, but people destroy bearings and rings at those speeds all the time, they generally last a race or two before needing to be rebuilt. There is an alternative piston with thinner rings which should seal better and reduce wear, but it weighs 23 grams more than ours, so vibrations could easily get out of control. These motors are power limited (3hp wont get you to 11k on a 44T, resistances wont allow it. 9500 is the upper limit, my first motor hit that out of the box) and vibration limited (too much vibration leeches power, and prevents the motor from going faster). You could gear lower and possibly hit 11k RPM, but lose your speed. You will need to modify. Perhaps 21mm is too big, but you need the extra flow area to get any power at that high of RPM. It'll be a gas sucker for sure though. Our stock carbs are 16mm from what I recall, but poorly designed that a 14mm dellorto can outperform them. If you want, you can try the 18mm mikuni, get a larger intake though for sure, our little ones only have 1/2" inner diameter IIRC, which is about 13mm. a 1" O.D. pipe with 1/8" walls will have ~19mm I.D. which should match the mikuni pretty well.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

13, 000from a china girl....hmmmmm

Maybe a Morini but if he has an ht doing that I say he may be the first and if I were you I'd just pony up the cash and buy one from motovelo fella, seems like I remember seeing some how to install a china girl vids on youtube by that guy that were a bit of a botched jobto be honest, but maybe im thinking of someone else, anyway good luck and buy several of the engine because you'll need a new pretty often if you manage to get the 11, 000 rpms you're seeking out of it.

Peace, Map

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Nothing you can do to a china girl will get you to 11,000 rpm's
Besides, dynamite is cheaper if you like explosions.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Pony up, that's funny as he!! Map. Andy Motavlo; the U-TUBE motorized bike STAR with
NO RETURNS
NO WARRANTY
NO CUSTOM SERVICE
NO TECH SUPPORT
and I believe is banned
Yea that where my money going
LMAO laff

Last edited:

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
the Hawaiians used to sled down volcanic mountains wearing only loincloths. It is said they reach 70 mph. I guess crashing like that would be like hitting a huge grater @ 70mph. 11,000 rpms? with my buttocks only inches above? Id rather do the loincloth only sled down Mauna Kea