Cranny Problems Mounting Engine

GoldenMotor.com

freitag

Mar 18, 2011
portland
Hey guys, so i haven't been here in a while, i bought a skyhawk 66cc ahwile back.... like 2 yrs ago. Now i have the time and space to build and i recently bought a cranbrook. Problem I encountered today was I failed to notice the downtube is almost twice the diameter of the seat tube... and to boot the downtube does not come close to the front engine mount. The ends of the bolts for the engine mount are about 1/8 inch from the down tube.

Question: I thought crannys were easy!? Haha, guess things have changed in the manufacturing process of the bike,... or possibly i have missed a post where this problem is described. Anyhow, does anyone have any ideas on how to make a mount, or some crafty idea to make this work? Tried to post a pic and it did not work...

Thanks!!! - B

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Ditch the pedal chain guard (it only gets in the way of mounting the engine) and get a universal mount from ebay or one of the vendors here. Its a bracket with 4 holes in it and a u-bolt. two of the 4 bolts are closer together, those are for the engine studs. Two are further apart, those are for the u-bolt. The u-bolt goes around the down tube. If it doesn't come with nylon locking nuts or lock washers, get some. You also probably won't be able to use the stock rear tire because the chain will rub. You'll want 26x1.95 tires. Amazon has some nice durable Kenda K838 (street tires) for $15 apiece and prime eligible (free two day shipping with amazon prime membership).

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
My 26X2.125 rear tire fits with about 1/8" clearance with the chain.

Depending on which 'Cranbrook' model you got, you may have to ditch the rear fender also.......you want to do that anyway.

Good luck with your build!

Last edited:

lenny9651

Apr 7, 2013
florida
going without fenders sucks in the rain, it's kinda like getting waterboarded. keep the fender and just cut a notch out of it to clear your chain

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
going without fenders sucks in the rain, it's kinda like getting waterboarded. keep the fender and just cut a notch out of it to clear your chain
You need to do a lot more than that if you want to safely retain the fenders.
There are threads here with good information on reinforcing stock fender mounts and what can happen if you don't.

Search, fender/s and you'll have plenty to read on the subject.

Tom

lenny9651

Apr 7, 2013
florida
i agree it should be reinforced, but i don't really understand why anyone would want to get rid of their fenders unless it's a racing bike and your trying to save weight or it's a recreational bike only used on sunny days. but if your using it as transportation you'll be sorry the first time you get caught in a rain storm and your 5 miles from home

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
i agree it should be reinforced, but i don't really understand why anyone would want to get rid of their fenders unless it's a racing bike and your trying to save weight or it's a recreational bike only used on sunny days. but if your using it as transportation you'll be sorry the first time you get caught in a rain storm and your 5 miles from home

Crashing and sliding hundreds of feet on your face because your fender mount failed and wrapped up in the wheel causes MUCH more discomfort than being wet.
Just sayin.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I don't run fenders on my daily driver. My luggage rack acts as a rear fender and keeps my seat from getting wet. I don't run a front fender because I like the way this bike looks without it. I haven't gotten around to it yet for lack of funds, but eventually plan on buying a proper wet riding suit and keeping it in my saddlebags. If I get caught in the rain, I can just pull over and put my suit on. Wet riding suits are more expensive than fenders, but they are cheaper than hospital bills.....

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Crashing and sliding hundreds of feet on your face because your fender mount failed and wrapped up in the wheel causes MUCH more discomfort than being wet.
Just sayin.
Amen to that ...............in a rain storm I never seen a fender that would keep me dry.... I have really nice fenders on my Harley Davidson and if it rains I still get really wet....LOL!

Honestly I understand it is nice not having water and mud thrown up your back when riding, I have a cargo rack on the back of my bikes, thats gonna help a lot with getting water slung up on my back, but unless they are heavy duty fenders with very secure mounts I aint ever gonna have them on my bike.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Here is a pick of what the engine looked like mounted on my first Huffy build, this bike has same frame as Cranbrook they just called it a Karaoke, as you can see I had not removed the rear fender yet but that was done very soon after this photo was taken.

The engine I used was one for the larger tube, it was a BGF engine, I also put a 36T crank chain ring on it and removed the chain guard to allow the engine to sit down low like it does, that made this engine fit perfectly on the Huffy frame.

If you just want to get a part that will allow you to mount the engine without having to do the other mods like I did, just order the large tube mount from Sick Bike Parts

You may still need longer mounting studs and you may still need to space out from engine to mount just a little but that will be your best bet unless you have the tools to just build your own extended mount which is very easy to do if you do have the tools, all it takes is a piece of plate steel and the right U-clamp/U-Bolt that will fit around the frame, the plate steel will have the correct spaced holes for mounting to engine and it will also be wide enough to drill other holes that will be inline with the U-Bolts width, once the engine is mounted to the seat post tube you just line the u-bolt up so that with multiple nuts it can be secured to the frame and the plate that is bolted to engine, nyloc nuts and a few washers and you r engine will be securely mounted to the cranbrook. Wish I could explain what I mean here better, I would list pics if I had some.

map
reddd

freitag

Mar 18, 2011
portland
Hey guys, i been out of town for awhile..... Thanks for all the advice.. i will definetly check out sick bike parts. Thanks mapbike for showing those detailed photos, helps a lot!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hey guys, i been out of town for awhile..... Thanks for all the advice.. i will definetly check out sick bike parts. Thanks mapbike for showing those detailed photos, helps a lot!
You're very welcome freitag, get busy on that bike so you can get us some pic....LOL!

There are a few Huffy Haters on here and that's fine, we're all entitled to our opinions, but there are also a butt load of people who have nice reliable builds on the Huffy frames including myself, so build that thing up and pay closest attention to rear coaster hub, pull it down and clean it up and put some high quality tacky red grease in it, auto zone carries a grease made by Lucas and of coarse there are others.

Also, if you want to get that Cranny pedaling easier, you might consider a larger sprocket on the rear wheel, you can pick one up on ebay like myself and a few others have, just replaced a 18T with a 23T on a wheel last week, I know that is gonna make a big difference, heres a link to where I got mine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-23T...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19df55eaaf

good luck on the build.

map
reddd

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Yep, the Lucas Red & Tacky is what I've used on all my stuff for years!! Seems like it has the highest 'drop rate' at 540* (means it holds up well to higher temperatures).

Good luck in your build!