CrazyFoo328 Build Thread

GoldenMotor.com

CrazyFoo328

Mar 9, 2012
TN
Here we go!! I finally ordered a T80 kit for pretty cheap. Im so excited for it to get here!

Now its time for the upgrades! I have done a pretty good amount of research on these things so i think i have a good idea of what needs to be done first, but i would really appreciate any comments or suggestions.

1. Now i would like to upgrade the plug/wire right off the bat, but im unsure of exactly what plug/wire i need and where i can find it the cheapest.

2. Im going to upgrade all the bolts/nuts/washers with stronger parts and locktite everything

3. Im going to clean up all the usual casting roughness and garbage from inside.

4. I want to make the chain idler safe immediately, so im thinking about buying this unless someone knows of a cheaper one.
http://www.bikeberry.com/performance-spring-idler-pully-upgrade.html

5. I have heard bad things about rubber mounts, but these look really nice and seem like they would fit snug on just about any frame. What do you guys think?
http://www.bikeberry.com/jnm-vibration-motor-mounts.html

As far as basic safety and engine reliability, is there anything that i am missing? I've never owned a 2-stroke in my life and i dont want my first one to blow up immediately.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
1: NGK B6HS plug aka (7534). Napa carries em. Copper stranded plug wire works the best, from my experience.

2: Get Property Class 10.9 or better Metric bolts. I recommend 12.9 on the engine mounts. Use blue loctite on bolts, red to install studs. You can use bolts instead of studs on the engine mounts, too. In that case, defer to the blue.

3: Awesome, that will help a lot.

4: That should work better than the stock non-sprung idler. You may need to tweak the bracket so it compensates for your frame's chainstay angle. You'll know if you need to do this if your chain doesn't run straight through the idler wheel.

5: From my experience, the engine will vibrate the least if it is solidly mounted and the muffler clamp is installed. Some have made their own "dampeners" out of hockey pucks. The worst thing about rubber is that it can squeeze out of places and cause your engine to become loose, possibly throwing a chain. Oftentimes it promotes vibration rather than dampens it, too. I stuff my seatpost and as much as the handlebars as I can with cork, it helps too.

Keep us posted on your project!

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
use leather between engine and frame! thrift stores sell good leather belts for hardly nothing. it dampens vibes and does'nt compress out. holds really good.

CrazyFoo328

Mar 9, 2012
TN
Man this took a lot longer to update than i thought lol Well its relatively completed.

The box that all the magic came in

Everything that was inside the box

LET THE BUILD BEGIN!!!!

Rough dirty head

CrazyFoo328

Mar 9, 2012
TN
Smoothed out clean head

Janky Exhaust

Smoothed out exhaust

Forgot to take a before, but this is the intake manifold. It looked pretty rough

Then i got serious, I totally stopped taking pictures at this point but i took the cylinder or "jug" off to clean up All the casting burs and remove a little bit of metal out of the intake/exhaust ports. I also trimmed trimmed the gaskets and the piston (just a little, not enough) on the intake side to get a little better flow.

Other things: NGK plug, all new bolts/nuts because the cheap Chinese stuff sucks, and a nice little inline fuel filter.

This is my first 2-stroke and so far im pretty happy with it. I had two different cars follow me at around 30-32mph which for now is the top speed i guess.

So the problem so far is keeping the chain on the sprocket. The idler likes to move slowly so im gonna put a couple screws though it, and now that the chain has stretched i think im going to have to take more links out which is fairly annoying lol

Another thing is the power seems very inconsistent. Like some times it pulls harder than other times. I also have terrible power in lower rpm which makes going around corners a little tricky sometimes. Is this normal?

My clutch is incredibly hard to pull. I have been meaning to buy grease for it but havent gotten around to it yet. Is the grease going to help the pull or is everyone's that difficult?

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
More experience out there to answer questions you have but the bike looks nice and clean! nice Build!

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
The build looks great!

My clutch pull feels about the same as my motorcycles, but I did lube my clutch actuator arm and the bearing. Al.Fisherman makes a clutch roller that makes the clutch pull easier.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Looking good Crazy. Very clean and sharp.

I think the tensioner on top is going to cause you problems. When on the bottom, (On the chain stay) the chain is being fed to it. On top, (on the seat stay) it has all the pull of the engine and all the drag of the drive wheel. Might prove to much for it and fail.

If your chain stay is round and will get pulled into your spokes, there are ways to fix that. Here is great thread on them; http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=11815

With that much extra chain and if your tensioner fails, it will most likely bind up and cause you to skid or bind up and damage the chain. I have done both, lol

Last edited:

CrazyFoo328

Mar 9, 2012
TN
Thanks for the link! and you are exactly right, having the tensioner on the top is an absolutely terrible idea and i know that now lol I had the chain bind up the other day and it pulled the tensioner down so hard it bent my frame and snapped the chain off (the master ling flew out). I bent the frame back a little, but im going to end up getting a new one in the near future because now this one is kinda ugly.

CrazyFoo328

Mar 9, 2012
TN
Thanks lol Im hoping today i can finish up this spring tensioner that im making and get the link so that i can actually ride this thing again.

CrazyFoo328

Mar 9, 2012
TN
Well i fashioned up a tensioner and it still isnt keeping the chain on it. i cant get the idler pulley to be at the right angle so that the chain can roll over it smoothly. How do you guys adjust pulley angle? Ive moved the whole thing around just still having issues.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have twisted them. With a vise, easy to over do it but can also be done with a couple of wrenches. Is amazingly weak metal so just a wee bit at a time.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Yup, like Dan said, a couple of wrenches will do it. I've used 2 crescent wrenches, opposed to eachother, to twist the idler bracket.

I've put over 3K miles on the stock idler with no trouble. Key thing is getting the chain to track true and don't overtighten the chain.

CrazyFoo328

Mar 9, 2012
TN
Well the bike was down for about a week but i have been working on it and i finally got it running right. The carb wasnt in the right notch on the pin so i changed that and it made a world of difference in power. I also got the tensioner straitened out and im fairly happy with it, but it still just needs a few adjustments. I have an awful chain slap problem at high speeds but im pretty sure im about to fix that.

Here are a few pictures

Over all i am very happy with the bike right now.

CrazyFoo328

Mar 9, 2012
TN
So my next thing i want to fix with the bike is all of the random noise and loudness. Now i dont mind a loud exhaust when it sounds smooth but around half throttle my bike sounds kinda like death just cruising. just very choppy and inconsistent.

One thing i really want to figure out is at full throttle when im winding it out it makes this kinda metalicy popping or pinging noise out of the exhaust which makes me thing the motor is going to explode. Does anyone know what im talking about here?

I really could use some help fine tuning this thing lol Its hard when you havent ever worked on one before and you can only pull so much from the internet.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I get those same noises. A while back someone posted a thread with a Youtube video where they were getting popping noises and a loss of power. At the time I was still in my break-in and did not get them, but now that I am pushing my bike harder I get the pops and pings, but without the loss of power.

In that thread, most replied that those were standard noises a China Girl makes when you ride 'em hard ;)

CrazyFoo328

Mar 9, 2012
TN
I got some goodies in the mail!

This is a modified mini pocket bike exhaust that i had an exhaust shot cut and reweld. Its only a little louder but it sounds pretty good i think.

I have one more upgrade but it will be a couple days before i get that straitened out :)

Also, will someone please move this thread into the Motorized Mountain Bikes and Road Bikes forum for me? Thanks.

Last edited: