Metal Particles on Spark Plug ?

GoldenMotor.com

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
I noticed a little thickened oil around the spark plug, took it off,
of course it's a little oily looking, but looking closer tiny globules of oil revealed minute metal slivers, the bike is on its third gallon of gasoline mixture last two mixtures were;30:1, there seems to be the same within the cylinder, . .

How common is this ?

This may have occurred from the hour or so at first, start-up, with the marine mixture which was a slight mistake.

Last edited:

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Hey Stude 13,

I'm not really familiar with the barrel coatings, however a try with the magnet revealed no metal particles adhering to it. so, thanks Mon !

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
There shouldn't be any metal particles on your spark plug. Metal particles are a sign of something is wearing in the engine.
And a magnet will will only attract ferrous metals. Your particles are aluminum.
You could have a broken ring that's "machining" a groove in the cylinder wall each time you start the engine.

If it was my engine, I'd tear it down to see what's causing the metal particles.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
There shouldn't be any metal particles on your spark plug. Metal particles are a sign of something is wearing in the engine.
And a magnet will will only attract ferrous metals. Your particles are aluminum.
You could have a broken ring that's "machining" a groove in the cylinder wall each time you start the engine.

If it was my engine, I'd tear it down to see what's causing the metal particles.
No doubt, if there's metal, there's a problem.

Not sure if the liners are magnetic (nikasil) but it could be that, the bushing in the wrist pin, (bronze of sorts) or piston skirt (aluminum).

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Don't these engines have some sort of a nickle coating or somthing? I know this gig is soppost to be alluminum bore